New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
You may be able to find it in the "connector diagrams" section of the wiring manual

·
5,311 Posts
The two most logical possibilities are C890b Interior Lamp, Front, or C912b Front Cigar Lighter. Just based on the shape of the connector. (Third possibility is C820 Luggage Compartment Lamp, but don't think that's under the dash.)

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Does the orange wire have a white stripe?

·
5,311 Posts
Ah, man, how did I miss that one!?

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
It looks like a clutch pedal in your photo which means its an unused connector...The factory probably just put that plug on every harness.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Its for a little cylinder that hooks into the key cylinder area. As many cars as I've been through Ive only seen it in mine and 1 other one. Most cars dont have it but the plugs there anyway

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its for a little cylinder that hooks into the key cylinder area. As many cars as I've been through Ive only seen it in mine and 1 other one. Most cars dont have it but the plugs there anyway

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Where Is the connection at I've tried to see where it would plug into and I still can't find it.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Here you go. My hands holding the plug and my thumbs pointing at the cylinder

The plug is the one by my pinky

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Its nothing important for the car running. I BELIEVE it just locks the ignition cylinder in a set place until certain parameters are met.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I actually think its an automatic thing. Now that I think about it my car was an auto when it was made. I believe thats the piece that locks the key from coming out if the car isnt in park.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Yes, the drawings appear to show it only on auto's

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Yeah which would be why I've only seen it on 2. Thats how many autos I've worked on. To save cost they just used the same harness for all of them.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Yea possibly but I dont think its a start or run inhibit thing. In automatic cars you can't turn the key all the way to off and take the key out if the car isnt in park.

Just like cars now you cant take out of park if youre not pushing the brake pedal. Same basic thing.

It's kind of just a thing to make sure youre in park before exiting the vehicle so it doesnt roll away and kill 4 dogs 2 old people and a nun.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
That's how the kid who played Odd Thomas died, drunkenly put his jeep in reverse instead of park, and got out of it, walked behind it and got pinched between it and his fence.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts