New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that almost everytime I start my 99 MTX that the guages (tach and speedo) will cycle all the way up (past redline and past 150 mph) and the to zero. Shortly after that (a few seconds) they return to normal operation. This happens even once the car is warmed up and started. Is this unusual??

Also, I believe I have a fuel pump getting ready to go! Car runs excellent over 1/4 tank, I get under 1/4 and it will buck and hesitate under a hard excel at the upper rpms. It will also give a "cel" p0430 at the sametime. Once I fill her up and reset the "cel" everything works fine. I think I read that this is a fuelpump oing bad. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: ILCat99
I have noticed that almost everytime I start my 99 MTX that the guages (tach and speedo) will cycle all the way up (past redline and past 150 mph) and the to zero. Shortly after that (a few seconds) they return to normal operation. This happens even once the car is warmed up and started. Is this unusual??
Yes. It often means there is a short in the system, or the power drops below a safe point, and then returns to normal, thus resetting the gauges.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
check the fuses or could be your batterys charge is getting low. as for the pump i think your pump is on the way out

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh! Could very well be the battery! There have been times that it needed a boost to start after an extended period of not driving. Also, I figured it was the fuel pump from reading the other posts. Since it is most likely a factory fuel pump and I have plans on modding this car, a Walpro might be in order with an increase over stock pressure.

Oh, just for information purposes, this has a build date of 05/26/99 and has the returnless fuel system.

Just a personal note: I haven't posted much here since I have joined, but I have been reading much. I have found that the information in this forum is VERY helpful. I have a lot of plans for my Cougar and being somewhat of a "Do-It-Myselfer", the information here and the help from members is great!

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
All I know is that when my battery died, the guages did that. Maybe your battery is holding a low charge.

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
My gauges have been doing that for like 3 weeks and I still can't find the problem :(

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had the same issues with the fuel pump. I changed the fuel filter and ran good injector cleaner through the system and haven't had those problems again. :banana:

As for the cel. I had that too. I replaced the DPFE sensor reset the computer, problem solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.