New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the alternator problem before, so I know what that was like, and this seems totally different.

Ocassionally during a cold start, I'd crank the engine and it sounds like gears grinding, and the engine didn't crank. Other times, the car would start, but after the engine turns over, It sounds like I'm still cranking it for a second.

When the car doesn't start, I just give it a push start and dump the clutch to get it started. When I reach my destination, I turn the car off, and back on just to see what it does. It starts just fine.

This morning, it didn't start like I explained above... and I tried again.. this time waiting to hear the fuel pum... I didn't hear it.. Pulled the key outta the ignition for a few seconds, tried again... no buzzing from the fuel pump.. push start it, and it runs just fine... :shrug:

And just a few hours ago after getting off work, I put the car into run to try and hear the fuel pump. Didn't hear it, so I tried to crank the engine. As soon as I turn the key to crank it, everything in my car just turns off. Radio, Lights, Indiglo Gauges, clock, odometer.. just turns off as soon as I turn the key into cranking position. Strange.. everything seemed to be working just fine til I did it.. That's also the first time it's happened. Before when I had the Alternator problems, the car would tick if it couldn't start... and it didn't even grind like it ocassionally does. Just totally turned off..

So, I gave it ANOTHER push start to get it going again. I didn't get it enough speed to fully turn over the engine, but it sorta blipped the engine, and everything turned back on... What's that all about?! Once everything turned back on, I was able to crank the engine normally... WTF?! :shrug:

So.. What's wrong with my Car!!?!?!? :mad: My alternator light has never came on.. and the when the car is running, there's no sign of a fading battery or broken alternator. I'm about to take it to AutoZone to get the alternator and battery tested.

·
I love CougarFest!
1,750 Posts
Sounds like your car needs some extra love! Have you washed and waxed it lately?? :) Maybe you haven't given it enough hugs and smiles! A little lovin' can go a long way! ;)

Actually sounds like the starter. Replace that and see what happens!

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I washed her 2 days ago, waxed her 2 weeks ago, and give her love Every day!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I was also thinking that the starter might be your culprit. Look at the bright side - at least you are getting plenty of exercise with push starting your car all the time! I would definitely want to get it fixed before the snow flies though... That could get a little annoying on a really cold day!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts