New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my brakes today and I noticed that I am had some weird wear on the old ones (all four front pads). What could be causing this? what can I do to fix it? It is cutting the life of my brake pads in half. Also I am missing the spring wire thing on the outside of my left front caliper. I have no idea where it went. Do I need it? Is it important? Thanks for any help. Pictures are attached to show what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Wow! something is totally out of alignment on your calipers. I don't think its your rotor... if it was you should hear a sorta swooshing wabbling noise. But it looks more like maybe the calipers are bent? maybe the caliper mount or bolts? I would suggest taking everything off and inspecting them for damage. Make sure you have some string to tie your Calipers up while you look at the mounts. In the past ive used anything from kite string to a small bungee cord, tied off to any bolt near by or even your springs.

As for that retaining spring ... important? ya sorta its supposed to hold the pad on the caliper as you let off the brakes and the pad moves a way from the rotor. But its not as important as how far off your calipers seem. That one pad looks to be a full 5 degrees off from square.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crap, I figured it was somthing bad. As for the wobbling, the car does shake when I brake from about 40 mph and up. I hope that it was the bolts, because I changed all four of them when I changed my brakes because I stripped them taking them out. And I guess I should buy some new caliper springs? Is it vital that I get them ASAP? Could something bad happen if I drive the car for a couple days without them on? And is this pad wear problem a safety issue? Or will I just have to change my pad more often if I cant figure out what is causing it?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
vital and asap on the spring? naa

as for safety? a bent part could be a half way broken part. :shrug:

If it was me id look for a junk yard that had a cougar, ask for the front caliper mounts and that spring.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Advnace Auto Parts sell the springs 9.99 for two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanna thank everyone for their help on this matter, it is appreciated. What I think I'll do is take the calipers off again and make sure the bolts are in there correctly and that everything is aligned right. Also I'll head to Auto Zone and get that spring. Then I'll check the pad wear in a couple of weeks to make sure their wearing correctly. Thanks again guys, and anymore suggestions are always welcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.