New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
OK ... how the hell did you do the inside edge on the guage cluster? did you not get paint on the clear plastic?

oh and I think that looks SWEET AS HELL... the paint looks very glossy and deep... me likes

G

·
That is very nice. I think the color combination works very well with your car
. In time Im going to have to do this myself(kinda dred it cause I have to take off my dash kit to do so. Oh and while on this subject do you have a how-to on how to prepare that dash for painting?

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks..... in all honesty I'm thinking that maybe the inner silver frost rings are a bit tooooo much, but I'm gonna live with it and see if I feel the same way in a few weeks.... seriously it looks better in person...
as far as the gauge cluster..... I took a silver paint marker and very carefully lined the inner 2 rings --- turned out nice, I tried to do the little left and right rings but my hand was not as steady as I hoped for so I had to touch up a bit of it with a black paint marker... hehehhe you would never be able to tell though...

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all the plastic pieces that I paint are prepped in this manner... others may recommend something else but this method is completely fail proof for me...

sand all pieces lightly... rub entire painting surface with a rag dipped with some lacquer thinner... degrease using a pine cleaner or a citus based cleaner... rinse in very hot water and dry thoroughly.. Apply 2-3 light coats of primer (I love Rustoleum for plastic) sand lightly if needed and apply your paint finish (3 light coats is good) then finish off with about 3 coats of clear (Krylon hi-gloss is great)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ok , that looks soo good... hehe I just want to know what kind of paint u r using? Cause my car is spruce green and i want to do my dash tha same color but I cant find anyone that can get me any in an aerosol can.. So, any suggestions??

·
Registered
31 Posts
I painted my rings on the cluster months ago. I just never got around to getting any pics taken. It was a major pain in the butt to do. A steady hand is needed. I did all 4, plus the high beam, and the two small ones at the bottom. I"m going to to the other rings around the top sides later.

It does make the car look MUCH better

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as paint, I am using a brand made by Nascar..... There actually is a color to match almost every factory color of the Cougar.... They make a Sage Pearl Metallic - looks pretty close in my opinion... Otherwise I guess Auto Supply Wholesalers (places that sell to the shops, not checkers or Weavers)will mix up any factory color for you and place it in a spray can, Dynamo Ben in WI-NECO swears by that....

·
Registered
672 Posts
The Nascar paint is what I use too (I use the universal red in high temp)...as well as that exact same primer, and clearcoat. Looks great....AND it worked out well for my calipers and engine cover as too. The lacquer thinner is the secret ingredient right Crispy.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope - Nascar does not make anything comparable to the stock Autumn Orange... but I will check at that Autobody supply place here in Madison though.... E-mail me your paint code Christopher...

Also, if you fly me to Florida I would gladly bring the spray paint and paint it for you...

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Amber.... this weekend is Easter..... so I will not be around....

Another weekend is fine with me but you got to drive to my house and we can diss-assemble and paint and re-assemble hopefully all in one long afternoon... heheh

If anyone from WI-NECO or IL-NECO wants to help or learn or just wants to paint with us at the same time they are welcome to come to my house as well.... BBQ and painting at Crispy's house?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.