New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that SkotTrot was the insperation for this.lol I also wanted to get advice from someone with an automatic too. I forgot if i asked SkotTrot, but did you get a flat K&N filter or is pure stock?

G

·
I'm getting my drgon intake today...I shouldn't add it when it's summer???
hot air? stock air box again? I juss don;t understand...please explain me^^

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
well i was coming on here to post about this also.... the aftermarket intakes suffer from Heat Soak, the stock airbox pulls air from inside the fender while theses others ones pull it from teh engine bay... in the summer that engine bay can get very very hot... i'm gonna be working on something - hopefully DanG can figure out the visishield 2.0 soon to stop this heat soak, esentially you want to create a pipe that goes from the fender or from the lower grille into a chamber which the intake resides in and is sealed from the engine bay ambient air.

btw: yesterday was like 75 and was the hottest it's ever been since i got my KKM, anyhow I did notice some loss in power...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Wouldn't heatsoak be just as much a problem in the winter as in the summer? Maybe it's not as hot underhood in the winter, but it's also much colder outside the engine compartment too.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I read this post and had a great idea...... Why dont we use some form of material thats very non-conductive to heat. Possibly some Hi-temp plastics. I we can get our hands on that you could easily build a box around your intake and the port it to the fender. This way all the heat from the engine would not effect your intake temp at all. The only problem would be makeing sure that your intake was getten enough air.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
So as I sat in my thermodynamics class today I had a great idea. Make a layered box then port it with a hose to the fender, there should be a hole there from your stock air box.

========
--------
\\\\\\\\
--------
========

=== is high temp plastic possibly some form of clear plexi glass 1/4"
------ simple aluminum foil
\\\\\\\\ styrofoam 1/2"
total thickness is about 1" ... sould keep out most/all heat

·
Registered
340 Posts
You need to go look under the hood. There is very little room to work with under there. I built a box out of sheet aluminum, but it didn't work out too well. I can't say for sure about the KKM, but with my weapon-R, I could barely fit any size box in there.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
OSU:

What you're looking for is the VisiShield (See my sig link for details). It is a clear polycarbonate enclosure for the KKM. Polycarbonate is a good insulator and capable of withstanding well over the temperatures you get under the hood. During my initial development, I hooked it up to the stock fender drawtube, thinking it would be good enough source for air. This turned out to be incorrect. On the dyno, my hp plot went horrendously unstable at 5200RPMs- The mixture went way heavy on the gas and started flooding the engine. Smelled terrible.

VisiShield 2.0 (which is on the way- Maybe end of the month?) will use the same polycarbonate enclosure, but you'll have to either rip out the stock tube altogether in favor of a larger tube that feeds into the fender area, or a ram-air like tube that rests under the car. It's a tight as hell fit as BigCountry pointed out. You can see the pictures of the old VisiShield on my car in my sig link.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Miks heat shield? Not to try and undermine your work, Dan, but the Visishield won't work with my current intake setup... I got the KKM SVT style, so with the way it's done currently, I'd have to rearrange my intake tubing to make it work. It's also less expensive, so those of us on a tighter budget who are willing to sacrifice a little quality may like this.

mortis, I know you were planning on getting this shield. If you got it, how do you like it? I'm beginning to notice signs of heatsoak again (since the temps are finally starting to rise here in TX), and I'd like to get it solved before it really sets in.

G

·
purple, I got a flat K&N. can't really notice any performance boost, but it does run a LITTLE (and I mean very little) better.

G

·
EdgeCat,

i think the heat shield is like $65 compared to $75 for the VisiShield (at least the previous incarnation). if you've got the SVT mod that bobnoxious posted about a few weeks ago, then you already spent most of the difference on parts for that.

G

·
i know this is going to sound crazy, but it works, i have a rubber hose clamped around the side entrance ( the entrance pointing towards the fender) of my kkm and it runs to the stock hole in the fender. This setup doesnt completly pull in cooler air but it pulls it in without having to worry about air restrictions by covering the entire intake.Sort of a 1/2 and 1/2 mix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.