New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there supposed to be a metal ring flopping around inside in between the water pump jacket and the pump itself?. Seems to me lt is worn out and should have been attached to the jacket. But could be for water flow so not sure. Any ideas? Should I just buy a whole new pump with the housing? I already have a new pump馃檨

Premium Member
Metal ring?
Short answer: No
Can you post a photo?

Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
It's the restrictor plate; it's not supposed to come loose.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went ahead and bought a whole other complete water pump and housing. There鈥檚 no way that ring should be flopping around in there. It just doesn鈥檛 make sense.

B3NN3TT is correct, it's the restrictor plate, it should not be loose. One of the more common pump failures, once the disintegrating impellers were changed out.

Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
In a pinch, I've taken the loose ring and tweaked the edge of it with a hammer. Once it was out-of-round a little, it would wedge in place and stick for the time being.

Premium Member
Are metal impellers and new housings still available? Or is there a way of mounting it back on place with some trick?
Rockauto has several different pumps available. Some of them have metal impellers.
I don't see one with both the metal impeller AND a housing, but if you really want both I guess you could just order two pumps, they aren't very expensive.

If you're worried about the plastic impellers falling apart, I don't think we've seen any reports of that happening anytime in the last ten years at least. That might have been an early Contour/Mondeo problem but I think its ancient history.

Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
Yeah early ones had black plastic impellers, and those had a high failure rate. The revised ones with the white plastic are pretty stout.

Registered
Rockauto has several different pumps available. Some of them have metal impellers.
I don't see one with both the metal impeller AND a housing, but if you really want both I guess you could just order two pumps, they aren't very expensive.

If you're worried about the plastic impellers falling apart, I don't think we've seen any reports of that happening anytime in the last ten years at least. That might have been an early Contour/Mondeo problem but I think its ancient history.
Found one housing with metal impeller but it said it could give me cancer lol.
Dont understand that Californian law thing
Also i have like 3 housings laying around and the restrictor is loose in all off them.
Why would ford make this alimunium/metal construction.

Gave the restrictor few hits with a hammer and it kinda sits for now. I think i will later on buy a whole new housing. Hope they ship to the Netherlands.
Thanks for the link anyway!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts