New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the summer I usually washed my car once a week
Since fall came the weather has been odd - we get heavy rain for one day then good weather for the rest of the week.

I hate having a dirty Cougar so on those type of weeks I end up washing the car twice in the same week.

Is this too much you think?

sidenote:
My mom complains how I take so good care of my car but my room looks like a pig sty - LOL

·
Registered
335 Posts
Twice a week is not too much in my opinion. My neighbors and my mailman think I'm nuts, I wash my car all the time, the mailman says he feels lazy always seeing my clean car and his is always dirty!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
parents and neighbors think i'm nuts but who has the damn cleaneset car on the block... A teenager has one of the cleanest cars on the block...I guess that's why a guy with a Lambo paid me to wash his... I'll post pictures of the lambo when I get them...he's emailing them to me.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think I'd wash it for the payment of a nice test drive!

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you are using a good car wash solution and a clean, soft mitt everytime you wash you shouldn't have any problems.

The biggest car washing mistakes are:
1) automated car washes with brushes
2) 'touchless' automated car washes (typically use harsh soaps that strip wax)
3) hand washing repeatedly with a cheap wash solution or dishsoap (strips the wax)
4) handwashing in direct sunlight or when the paint is hot
5) hand washing with a dirty mitt or not rinsing the mitt clean between panels
6) not rinsing your mitt before dipping it back into the wash bucket (some people use a hose to do this, others use a second bucket with only water in it)
7) not drying and allowing water spots to form
8) drying with towels that are dirty or coarse

Try to avoid these situations and don't forget to wax at least every 2-3 months and you'll be in good shape. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi, i'm Joe, and i'm a wash-a-holic...opps wrong meeting - lol yeah, during the summer I wash my car about 2-3 times a week for about 5 hours (full detail) and wax it a lot too...there is no such thing as overwashing :)

B

·
0 Posts
This week alone ive washed my car four times. Inside and out. I dont think thats alot considering I live in pensacola where everything is sand.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Is there something about putting too much wax? I was planning to wax my car maybe every 2 weeks
Waxing frequently will not harm your paint because wax is not abrasive. Polishes however sometimes contain a very small amount of abrasiveness to smooth away minor imperfections, thats why you should only polish every 6 months or so.

Overwaxing may only be harmful to your wallet, wax does not build up in layers, once you have achieved uniform coverage most of your additional applications may just wipe right off until the original coating begins to fade. Most waxes don't last more than 6-8 weeks, so doing it once every month instead of every two weeks may be more practical and effective.

And make sure you are using something soft to apply the wax or you could end up with a lot of tiny scratches in the future. If hand waxing, I like to use foam applicators, they dispense product evenly and are easy to clean for re-use.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well not every 2 weeks when I first put a layer of wax the package said to repeat in 30 days
I thought I might do it again in 2 weeks just to get maybe spots I might have missed.

So polish every 6 months ok thanks for the info
I have the Meguirs wax which came with a foam applicator but it turned black from dirt?
I washed it before I waxed this was my first time waxing

O yeah one more thing do I need to polish before I use wax?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Optimally, if your car is ready for it's bi-annual paint cleansing here are the steps you should follow:

1 - Wash and dry
2 - Clay and/or paint cleaner
3 - Polish
4 - Wax (2 coats is good to ensure uniform coverage)

With step two, if you can only afford or only have the time to do one of these, I recommend claying - it is much more effective. If you have any questions about any of these steps I think they have been explained in detail in previous threads, or feel free to PM/email me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
whats the best type of wax we should be using

·
Registered
536 Posts
The best type of wax you should be using.... there are two ways to answer that:

1) The best type of wax quality wise -or-
2) The best type of wax availability and cost wise

Quality-wise means more of an investment and you generally have to special order it or find a specialty retailer. Some of the best quality car waxes in my opinion are Lusso Oro, Zaino (sealant, not a wax), P21S, and real Zymol (not the blue cleaner wax).

Availability and cost-wise you can't go wrong with Meguiar's (especially the Mirror Glaze Professional or Medallion lines). 3M is a little harder to find sometimes, but they also offer excellent waxes. Mother's also makes decent waxes, but personally I prefer Meguiar's or 3M.

Everyone has there own opinions and loyalties when it come to waxes, so the best thing to do is try different products and decide for yourself what works best on your car.

·
Registered
434 Posts
what is the best way to get rid of water spots that seem to be permanently stained on your hood? I juss moved from FL (born&raised) to NC(no I haven't lost my mind) and for the first time experienced real "COLD" weather, so my car hadn't been washed in a while, and i've got water spots on my hood from the water sitting...even after i wax, i can still slightly see where they used to be...and yea, i'm one of those obssessive car cleaners as well, I spend from 9 in the mornin till about 5 at night every week cleaning everything inside and out (it takes a lil time to take my car apart lol :p) but like ya'll said, "Who's got the cleanest and pertiest car on the block!?!"

*Raises Hand* I DO!!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Next time you're ready to clay the car (which you should do about every 6 months), follow that up with a good polish or paint cleaner (Meguiar's 3 step Deep Crystal Sytem would work well here) and if that gets rid of them, finish with wax as usual. If that doesn't remove the water spots then you may have to step up to something more aggressive (rubbing compound) or have an experienced detailer buff them out with a hi-speed (rotary) buffer.

Are the water spots white around the edges with a dull center? If so you may have acid rain etching which indicates the damage is deeper than normal water spot damage and you should consult a body shop or detail shop.

Let me know when you are back in Florida, I'd be happy to help you get your paint back in top shape. To prevent future spotting try to wash every 1-2 weeks (I know its hard in the winter) and wax every two months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts