New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I always wait when I first start up the Cougar till the temp is somewhere above C and close to the middle
This takes about 5 minutes or so

I was wondering does everyone wait till their engines are warmed up before hitting the road?

The pros or cons of not warming up the engine

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
high revs while the engine is cold is very dangerous for the valvetrain

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I always let my car run for atleast 5 minutes before I start driving it.
DanG and my oil pressure gauge taught me that,
our Oil pressure is way high for atleast the first 10min after you start the car.
Like 75-100psi.
If you don't let the car warm up and pull out of the drive way and get on it a bit
you may spring an oil leak......like me before I got my oil pressure gauge
Thanks DanG:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
complete watse of time and money. Plus you will get major carbon deposits on your pistons and valves.
I start the car, put the face on the radio and go. That gives it enough time to get oil pressure. Anything more and your just wasting gas.
Granted I don't drive it hard for the first few miles. As long as your not revving the engine your not going to hurt a thing.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've got no choice. With my atx if it is stone cold it doesn't like to go the first 50 feet. It almost wants to die. After five seconds of movement it clears otherwise i just let it warm for a few. Plus with remote starter it's great....

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
yeah, in the winter i usually start the car... then go back inside to get my stuff- coat, shoes, gloves etc...
Once i lockup the house, roll out into the driveway, put on my seatbelt and pick a cd to listen to. Everything has had pleanty of time to warm up & even then, i never push the rpms past 2500 until i've got hot air coming through the vents :)

S

·
0 Posts
yeah you want it to idle for a little while before you take off...Thank god for Viper Alarms with Autostarts on them...can crank that bad boy up without ever going outside.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
hmmm driving the car during the winter I'll have to try that sometime.......NAH!:tongue:

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Well since I'll never own a Ferrari
it's my ferrari and I'm not gonna dump all kinds of
cash into my car and then drive it through an Ohio
winter if I don't have too.

Salt, sand, rocks, and by the end of winter pot holes
I could barely go through with my lifted truck.

No thanks. You do your thing I'll do mine.
I've worked to hard to ruin it all in one winter cause some anus
slides into me cause he can't drive in the snow.:rolleyes:

·
3L Install Maestro
7,864 Posts
There is a massive difference in power between a cold engine and hot engine in my car. If I floor it right when I get in the car the car just doesn't go. I need to wait until the oil presser is down to 15-25psi to before I can get on it. In my 2002 X-type it says in the manual to let it warm up and not go above a certain RPM range until it is warmed up and it has basically the same engine as ours.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'll start mine up for 5 or so minutes in the AM....1 because after I had the oil pressude gauge installed I saw what the previous posts were saying about the high oil pressures....but mostly because I HATE driving in a jacket...so I want the car warm.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I would have to agree with Instigator.

It is ALWAYS a good thing to allow an engine to idle a few minutes when it is cold. It does nothing bad what so ever. In fact, you can cause damage to your engine if you run it hard while the engine is cold.

I cringe when I ride with other cougar owners who run their engines to redline while the engnine is still cold.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Yeah, I need to starting doing that to. I don't have much of an option when I leave my apartment I am making a left hand turn across 4 lanes of heavy traffic doing 50+, so I have to get on it right from the get go.

Damn I should have gotten the remove starter when I had my alarm installed :banghead:

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
when my engine is cold is when it really flys...once it warms up it goes nowhere...

Mike

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
when my engine is cold is when it really flys...once it warms up it goes nowhere...

Mike
Then apparently there is something wrong with your car. Perhaps your engine when hot is pinging and the pcm is pulling timing. Do you have a cel? when the engine is cool, timing will be advanced in order to warm up the engine and run well while cold. It may also be your ATX tranny?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Nope, no CEL, actually I think it's more of a heatsoak issue? After I drive around for a while, the engine starts sucking up warmer air than when the engine is still cold and gives off no heat...but I'm sure your CAI will fix that, if it ever arrives..ahem. :)

Mike

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had a long discussion with a nascar engine builder about running an engine when the oil temp is low. He said that if you run the engine over 2000 rpm with the oil temp below 100 deg. F then you are asking for trouble. Because even if you have pressure the oil is thick enough that you don't have the volume of oil flowing through the engine that you need. Thats typically why pressure is high when cold and goes down when warm. If you have a pressure gauge installed watch untill you get to about 40-50 psi then you can start to put load on the engine. If you want I can post the guys whole thesis on spinning rod bearings and oil (temp and weight).

T.J.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I normally wait about a min or two to let my car warm up, even when I'm pulling out of the garage. After my long shift at work in the lot I wait about the same, and don't rev the hell out of it when I leave. Yeah, cold oil is sludgy oil, which won't flow worth crap in your engine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts