New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long do you guys let your car idle when you first start it after an overnight rest? How long after a couple of hours of rest?

Usually in the morning or first time starting the car inawhile, I let the rpms drop around 1000 before driving.. usually takes 1 - 1.5 minz or so. I do the same when the car just sits for a little bit, but usually only take half a min to get to the 1000 rpm mark, if it isnt there already.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I try to give the car at least about 20 seconds to let the oil circulate a bit. Then I usually don't push it past 3000rpm until it's been running for at least a few minutes.

If it's very cold out, I'll usually let it warm up for 1-2 minutes... (helps thaw the windows if their frosted over), and if it's covered in snow, I'll be mean and make it melt its own way out for about 15 minutes.

G

·
My routine is the same as AtomicInternet. I turn to ON and wait for the rrrr sound to stop (which I had clue was the fual pump, thanks Atomic!). Then start and go for the most part. Sometimes I do wait for the rpms to drop to 1000 before I put it in gear.

KingTut

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.