New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how? and if so post in thread, searched it with no result.

thanx
alex

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hopefully you can find the bleed nipple. Make sure the reservoir is full. Use brake fluid, with a Dot 3 or Dot 4 rating. After one person has opened the nipple, the other presses on the clutch pedal once. Keep the pedal to the floor and close the nipple. Repeat, until the fluid coming out of the nipple shows no air bubbles and is cleaner in appearance.

Do not release the clutch with the nipple open, that will just suck air back in through the nipple.

·
Registered
301 Posts
hell I didn't even know we had clutch fluid or whatever. never had mine filled. should I get it filled or don't I need to. sorry to steal the thread.

·
Registered
627 Posts
well, we dont have clutch fluid, we have brake fluid and the clutch system uses it. if your brake fluid is full, so is your clutch fluid.

i certainly would not use the method above to bleed my clutch. with out using a bleeder tube and cup, you are just asking to get more air in it.

HERES FORDS WAY TO BLEED THE BRAKES IN THE COUGAR:

BRAKES

attach your hose assembly thingy etc

open the bleeder 1/2 turn (wow - brake pedal not pushed down even!)

WARNING: DO NOT LET THE RESIVIOR GO DRY DURING THE FOLLOWING: (means the pedal guy checks every few pumps)

depress the pedal fully to the floor and let it snap back quick by itself

repeat until the bleeder guy is happy about bubbles - then when hes satisfied.........

depress the pedal fully and close the bleeder

its that simple

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD:

the book sequence is: Left-Front, Right-Rear, Right-Front, Right-Rear (for cars with ABS)

then do the clutch:

CLUTCH

attach the bleeder

open the bleeder 1 turn

pump clutch like 10 times until no bubbles

close bleeder (pedal dosent need to be held)

pump clutch pedal 10 times and test

the method works slick

remember, you are not just trying to get out those BIG bubbles that fill the bleeder tube, you need to look close at the fluid in that plastic hose for streams of "tiny bubbles" lots of those is bad too. If your brake fluid is old, just buy extra and pump a bunch of it through flushing your system (2 quarts should be plenty)

brake fluid does get old, it absorbs water that rusts your brake lines from the inside out. every 100k mines flushed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Letting the clutch up or for that matter the brake pedal, when the bleed screw is open, will just re-introduce air back into the system. The ford idea of repeatly pressing the pedal until air bubbles disappear, assumes the use of a bleed jarto, or auto one person bleed tool. Without it, it's open the bleeder, press pedal to the floor, close bleeder, release pedal, repeat until all air is out. If doing brakes, it's pump the pedal 4 or 5 times and press hard, then open the bleeder. I stand by my original how to, has worked for brakes and clutches for years and years, including those on the Cougar.

I agree, use a tube and container to catch OLD fluid, but by no means leave the bleeder open and release pedal. While air might be prevented from re-entering the system, the old fluid, dirt etc sure will. Unless you use a bleed jarto or the way I originally suggested.

The only problem with bleeding the clutch system is that any contaminants are still in the system. This is due to the Cougar using the same reservoir for brakes and clutch. So if you want to do the clutch, you really should do the brakes first, being sure to follow the proper sequence of wheels, right rear, left rear, right front, left front.

Then do the clutch.

Go to this site to see ford pics and steps.

http://users.eastlink.ca/~cougar9999/index.htm

Think about it man...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
a quick brake bleeder is a coke bottle with a hoile in the top. then put a line to the bottom and fill with jsut enough fluid to cover the end of the line. then attach line to bleeder and open. no air can possibly get back in as long as you dont open the bleeder too much. i use it and the above method and it works fine. i got stainless steel brake lines and my pedal is rock hard without the engine on. if yours feel quishy u still have air in the lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.