New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed my emmissions test yesturday and it turns out to be a bad catalytic converter. There is an 80000 mile warranty which I'm under but the Dealer won't honor the warranty because the exhaust isn't stock. My question is, if a put a stock exhaust back on and took the car to a different dealer, would I have a chance at fixing it under warranty?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
What part of the exhaust did you modify?

But to answer your question, you should be able to return it to stock and take it elsewhere.

·
Registered
429 Posts
That shouldn't void your warranty.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
whitecoug.... You can fight this... Anything from the Cat Back will not void any warranty... expecially what you did... However you will have to FIGHT with the same dealership... Chances are they entered your VIN into the Ford OASIS system and any future dealer who pulls up your VIN number will see the comments left by the previous dealership...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I finally got my point accross for the exhaust system and the fact that it could cause problems with the cats. Now the dealer has moved on to the aem intake as the cause of the problem. What would some of you recommend I do now any machanic advise would be greatly appreciated

Pete

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
well if I was in your position I would just buy a nice new y-pipe with a hi-flow cat...but that's spending over $300...and that's just me...then if you still fail for that, take it to a garage for inspection.

Mike

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Originally posted by: Fly-Fast
Where was that thread that talked about a stereo ground causing +5K in damage...
I posted that in Problems.

Back to the whole "cat back not causing the problem". As I have said before, it is commonly believed, among people who modify, that a cat-back will not void your warranty. It can, simple as that. If you modify your exhaust system, you run the chance of voiding you warranty on THAT system. I watched a Ford rep deny a claim on a Cobra cat/h-pipe due to a cat back system. So don't say it can not void your warranty...because it can.

Now this all depends on the dealership. A dealership can, and will, look the other way. I have also seen us fix things under warranty, when we very well could have pulled out a copy of the MM act and denied the claim. Silly things usually, radio bezel is damaged and they have an aftermarket radio. Could have been denied, but we ignored the fact and repaired it anyway. At another dealer I worked, we did replace a set of cats on a modified system...to the point where we needed to cut and weld. That we could have easily denied, but we repaired it anyway.

An intake, now that can cause you to run rich/lean, and cause premature cat failure. Your best bet is to reinstall the stock airbox and try again.

No matter if you take it to the same dealer, or another dealer, explain your situation to the service advisor. Tell them that you are looking to find a dealer whom you can trust will take care of you, for all your future repair needs. If you are, or will be, a repeat customer...they will do more for you. Believe me, when something like this comes up...and a customer needs some extra "help". Having a history with us helps your cause. We know that you will be back, so we want to make sure you are a happy repeat customer.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The dealership has to prove that the item in question caused the failure. So let them know that, mention the M&M act and they will back off. Worked for me. They tried to say my stereo was screwed up beccause I had new speakers and an amp in the trunk, the amp wasn't and had never been, hooked up.

·
Registered
558 Posts
like james said, anything from the cat back will not void the warranty. the intake is in front of the cat so they might have the ability to void it. when i took mine in for inspections or service i always re-installed my factory filter box because of this. its a pain in the ass but in your situation it might have been worth it. but u didnt know so, i dont know what to tell u now.:shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts