New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a video file of some noise my car is making...basically only good for the sound, as there is not enough light to see the slightly wobbling AC condensor pulley. Sound familiar?

LINK

Help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
good god......... thats loud. well it does sound like an accesory making that noise. or it sounds as if something was hitting one of the pullys. try taking your serpentine belt off and seeing if the noise stops. if it doesnt its either your engine or your water pump pully.( u can take that of too) to take the serp. belt off get a 3/8th inch ratchet and stick it inot the square hole on the tensioner. and realease the tension and take the belt off. there is a diagram on the right strut tower to tell how to get it back on. come and post results......

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
K...that's not good. Let me tell you....that's how my car sounded before it went kaboom. Well not literally, but my engine did die and was making similar knocking. Not to say for sure that your engine is going to die..just maybe that it could? All I suggest is that you don't turn the car on again and get it looked at professionally before you make things worse. Other things I noticed were bubbling coolants, rattling noises when driving and a slipping clutch near the end as well as some hesitating (like the fuel bump issue kind) and stalling. Hope any of this is useful.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Nitrik, i think we have a different problem, however. Was your knocking comming from around the A/c pulley? I don't have any other side effects like that and i've been running it like this for quite awhile now. The info is much appreciated though.

I can't seem to find out how to get to the tensioner, its far too cramped in there.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,932 Posts
Originally posted by: MrNiceguy
Thank you Nitrik, i think we have a different problem, however. Was your knocking comming from around the A/c pulley? I don't have any other side effects like that and i've been running it like this for quite awhile now. The info is much appreciated though.

I can't seem to find out how to get to the tensioner, its far too cramped in there.
You need a smaller wrench. A normal ratchet is too fat to fit in there. You can either get a low-profile ratchet, or a 3/8 drive breaker bar. If not, you can take that motor mount loose, and jack the engine up a couple of inches, sandwiching a piece of wood between the jack and the oil pan to distribute the pressure evenly. Then you can use a normal ratchet.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Any ratchet wrench that I have can loosen the tensioner. Get some quality tools or a belt tensioner tool and get back to us. It's pretty obvious that if your belt is frayed-that you have a bad bearing in one of your accesories. After you get the belt off. Turn over each pulley by hand. It should be obvious which one is the culprit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, just an update; mechanic said that the compressor is going bad and its less expensive to replace the whole compressor than just the clutch because it's cheaper and it will last longer. so, that will be setting me back a good 300$ w/o install =/...anyone wanna sell a compressor? =[

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.