New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vibration/Rubbing Problem through front of vehicle

Some background information: 2001, 32k miles, ATX.

In the past few weeks, when the car is decelerating from 35mph to 30mph, I hear a slight "rubbing" noise for just a split second in the front of the car. It reverberates through the steering wheel and the accelerator pedal, but not through the rest of the car. Recently, it has begun doing it everytime I decelerate through that band. My original idea was that it was the wheel bearing, or a worn mount for the struts, but last night, it decided to do it while I was in park. Revving the engine to about 1350rpms, the noise returned, with a "rub-rub" noise. I have been using the air conditioner religiously for the past few weeks, so on a hunch I turned it off and went for a drive... the noise is lessened, but still present.

So I've ruled out the wheel bearing, and now I'm beginning to think about compressor clutch, and anything else belt driven. The belt is NOT slipping. Keep in mind that it's making enough presence to be felt through the steering wheel.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
334 Posts
RE: Vibration/Rubbing Problem through front of vehicle

The only idea I have is to check the shield behind your front bumper it may have come loose. It happened on mine right after I finished my kit and it was vibrating and making a scraping sound. thats all I can think of. Or you might want to check the alignment as well. But you can probably scratch those two as it does it when you are parked and reving it......So I would go with your theory.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
RE:Vibration/Rubbing Problem through front of vehicle

Sounds like a motor mount or roll restrictor may be marginal/bad. However, that's very low mileage to consider that a real possibility. Get under the car and check for damage to your front and rear roll restrictors. The ATX rear roll restrictor is a PITA to get to, and it may not be clearly visible.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: Vibration/Rubbing Problem through front of vehicle

Nope, that was the only thing -- it got worse and worse, although it NEVER sounded like the "moosing" -- it was a 'hoot' here and there, but towards the end it was so violent that you could feel it through the vehicle... and easily hear it 15-20ft away.

The only other symptom started about 100 miles ago (original problem started about 300mi ago) -- the car would drop RPMs during deceleration from 1400 -> 1000 in one huge chunk, not gradual like it normally would.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.