New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Matt and i have a 2001 cougar auto, 2.5 l with 106 k on it
To the point
I have a very strange sound coming from the car. Its in the front and sounds like a belt noise like err errt if that helps. It only happens in first shifting to second (auto trans). I have replaced my main belt with a gator back so i know its not the belt itself. Weather does not effect it either. It happens all the time even after the car has warmed up. Also i have some slippage in my transmission in first gear, but i dont think these two things could be related. Any help please
thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
Try recording the sound, I have absolutely no idea what err ert sounds like.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Cougie is now at the doctors! The sound i was hearing was my gears grinding. Im going to have my transmission rebuilt for about 1200 total including labor. After slippzing out of first and then second, plus with no foward pressure, and my fluid dark brown, its time to get it fixed. It should be done by monday :D

·
Administrator
24,478 Posts
Ouch; sorry to hear that, man. Hope it's back on the road soon :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Oh, that err ert sound. Bummer, well at least you have $1200, if that happened to me I'd be up s**t creek without a paddle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive been having the same problem. Like a loud humming sound on the drivers side. I think its on the filter/throttle, thats where I think the sounds comin from.

·
Registered
529 Posts
$1200, thats a great deal, i looked it up in alldata, its 10 hours of labor for removal and install, and 14 hours with a rebuild(MTX-75). hopefully that all works out for you;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys and yeah I think I got a really good deal on it. A guy in Columbus is doing it for me and it's almost half the price aamco quoted me. Plus the guy is giving me a one year warrenty :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well got the cougar back yesterday and it drives perfect. No problems so far knock on wood :)

·
Administrator
24,478 Posts
Well got the cougar back yesterday and it drives perfect. No problems so far knock on wood :)
Great to hear. Did you have it done by a shop in Columbus, or just by some dude? Please share!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well my dad knows this guy named jośe who owns his own shop, but the catch is you have to pay in cash. But he does the best job and he changes EVERYTHING inside the tranny. He also soaks it in fluid with a machine cycling the fluid at extremely high temp so it completely cleans out the tranny. He also had it done in four days. One of the best mech out there

1 - 14 of 14 Posts