New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

so this issue is regarding my mom's 2000 cougar 2.5 V6. very very strange. the car DEFINITELY has some sort of electrical issue that needs to be solved.

so it all started one day when the car died all of the sudden. one day its working fine, the next day its dead. we tried boosting it to no avail. very strange. the car would start then die. so we take it to our mechanic. test the alternator. its dead. so we replace it with a rebuilt alt. ok, so the car is fine. 2 months later, same thing happens again. alternator is dead. replace it again. its been a few months, and now it happened again a few days ago. died mid-driving. the weird part was if i kept the revs up, the car would keep going, but the second i let the revs come down or hit the brakes, the car would die.

so anyways, we replace the alternator AGAIN for the third time. now its getting annoying and expensive, cuz its a huge pain in the arse to get to the alt. as i'm sure you all know.

this time, i'm looking at the car more closely, and it seems to be running fine, but all the lighting in the car seems to be flickering... the dash lighting, the interior dome lights, the headlights... everything. now, this flicker seems to be more of a fade then an on-off thing... sounds to me like the flickering is actually in sync with the engine sound. so i know something is wrong with the electrical system in the car, and i know if she keeps driving, it will just burn another alternator.

ANYONE KNOW WTF IS GOING ON?

please help.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Yes.... theres something wrong with the Voltage Regulator on the alt. You know that white pastic bit on the outside of the alt, where you plugged in the 3 wire plug?

Now the RPMs holding the car alive is totally different, the alt was completely dead there, or on its last leg more like it.

As for the flickering that is always the VR or something tied to it. Took me forever to fix this problem in mine. Dealers always blamed the alt.... finally tracked my issue down to that 3 wire plug that was connecting to the VR, there was arc marks inside showing that the pins were shorting out. My mechanic ordered a new plug and sodered it in. Flickering problem is 99% gone now. And i stopped going through alts.

Next time your under there, shine a flash light up in the plug. Mine was made of blue pastic on the inside and you could definately see all the black marks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Moraki... i have also been doing some forum searches here, and it seems alot of ppl have this problem. the VR sensing wire is in that 3-wire plug on the alt. apparently if you cut and re-route it to the main power wire on the alternator, that should solve the problem.

can anyone confirm?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts