New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my IMRC secondaries are closed (under 4K rpms) I have pretty lackluster acceleration then when they do open it’s like a turbo that just spooled up and the torque difference is nuts compared to the more linear feel on my last cougar. What side of the intake should I be pinning this problem to?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question. Isn't that what the IMRC is supposed to do? Was the IMRC fully functional in your last car, including the linkage under the TB?

You may consider cracking the secondaries slightly open (full time) with the adjuster. I've read it helps with low end and have mine set that way. Although not a rocket, I have no (real) complaints with low end and I can still tell when the secondaries fully open.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I understand your question. Isn't that what the IMRC is supposed to do? Was the IMRC fully functional in your last car, including the linkage under the TB?

You may consider cracking the secondaries slightly open (full time) with the adjuster. I've read it helps with low end and have mine set that way. Although not a rocket, I have no (real) complaints with low end and I can still tell when the secondaries fully open.
How do I go about adjusting?

I have to go full throttle through first and second gear to get up to normal speed from a stop light.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The cable linkage and adjuster are under and to the rear of the TB. But first make sure the IMRC is working AND the linkage is all intact. It’s common for the plastic linkage retainer for the front bank to fail.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T
The cable linkage and adjuster are under and to the rear of the TB. But first make sure the IMRC is working AND the linkage is all intact. It’s common for the plastic linkage retainer for the front bank to fail.
the front linkage was disconnected and no bushing was present when I bought the car, but I put the connecting rod back in the front bank lever and speed taped it in place and it actuates just fine though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting. Plugs, wires, coil recently changed?

You can pick up a pack of retainers from most parts stores for like $5.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. Plugs, wires, coil recently changed?

You can pick up a pack of retainers from most parts stores for like $5.
What retainers should I be looking for?

I have my throttle body off right now and the rear bank retainer just simply crumbled when I touched it any other ways of keeping it in there in mind?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought a 5 pack for $5 from Advance. Dorman product. Ask for the IMRC linkage retainer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How slow is your acceleration? I just purchased a 2002 back in november and it feels different now then it did when i first bought it, in terms of performance. I haven't done anything to the car other than basic maintenance and put in a K&N air filter but my car is taking about 9 seconds to get to 40 according to my OBDII reader. Couldn't tell you what the times were when i first bought it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What retainers should I be looking for?

I have my throttle body off right now and the rear bank retainer just simply crumbled when I touched it any other ways of keeping it in there in mind?

The throttle body to gas pedal linkage right? I first used a paper clip and tie wrap as a kid. But the paper clip was too thin to bear the engine bay heat and my pedal got soggy. I now use a quarter, drilled some holes in it, and secured it with those washers and clip on the studs

Remember proper pedal "calibration"
hold pedal all the way down, open and hold TB all the way up, the two studs now have proper distance from each other to attach your rig to them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts