New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about purchasing a venom racing chip for close to $300 dollars and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. It says that it will increase HP up to 25% which i find hard to believe. Does anyone have it for the 2.5 Duratec? If so please let me know if you like it, and if it made that big of a difference...thanks

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Are you talking about the Venom 400 piggyback ECU? If so, i personally think its junk.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i have one make it faster but you never use it cause it bad for your engine and you get like 5miles to the gallon

i only use mine if a riced out civic pulls up next to me and pissed me off then i turn it on and smoke him
but other than that i dont like using it

I would sell mine but i dont feel like getting it uninstalled

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see i see, yeah it is the Venom 400, i just purchased a dual exaust and and intake, so i figured with that a chip would be good. Does anyone know of a chip that is not junk and would go good with basic modifications like an intake and exaust. Be right back, gotta go stop payment on that venom. It sounds like junk

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
its not junk
it workes good but too good for full time use

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i like the feature that you can turn it on and off with just a button which i can access sitting in my drivers seat

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help, im in a big time delemma now, weather or not to buy it. I think im going to stop payment on it, and look around somemore. I do like the fact that you can turn it on and off at free will, that sounds great, but the fact that it may ruin my engine scares me. I will see how much my intake and exaust impact my acceleration, then maybe buy the chip. thank you

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Any performace mod that you do will decrease the life of your engine. I wouldn't say that a chip would ruin your engine though... I have heard both good and bad things about the Venom 400. I don't, however, have anything to go off of except for people's opinions of it. I would put the most consideration into the opinion of the person that actually has the chip though. He says it makes it quicker. Or you could try to call Venom's customer support line and have them explain to you exactly what the chip does to increase performance, and how the unit responds on a Duratec 2.5L. They are usually more than happy to help.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Just FYI, you are not supposed to turn this item on and off while the car is running. I m just clarifying that incase people are wondering. You only turn it on and off with the car off. As stated it adds more fuel to the motor, my MPG as dropped about 3-5mpg but hey if it ll make me go faster, or adds any performance gain at all, for that loss I m not too worried.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Or how about the Weapon R Ecu on custom cougars? Anybody know anything about it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is it any good? Isn't it a piggy back ECU, not a chip?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Yup... a few splices into the ECU, and it doesn't require the chip slot at all. I've had it since week three of owning my Cougar, and it's been pretty good - ask Ignernt what he thought of my 'stock' Cougar (a quick ride to Walmart a few weeks ago had an interesting result) :biggrin:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hi Pat! Welcome!

To be perfectly forthcoming, in my opinion, you'd be crazy to put an aftermarket chip in your car. I've heard nothing but horror stories, not to mention, you risk damaging your ECU and voiding your warranty(if applicable). If you are looking to improve horsepower, purchase the Borla Duals(loved them on my Cougar), an intake, pulley, and if you can afford it new headers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
yea I got a couple of those.

AEM Intake and True Borla single.

I'd really like headers, high flow cat, and brullen y-pipe, but don't know if i'd be smog legal here in "Cullifornia".

I was thinking about what the next performance upgrade would be. Any suggestions?

Maybe the spark plug wire, coil upgrade. Or Svt upper kit. I have 1 more year to go before warranty is up. So I'd like to just install bolt-ons. That way I can swap the upgrades, so the dealership won't hassle me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help, im going with the jet chip instead, i believe. Jason what kind of chip do you have?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts