New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
for starters, ask the question, then people will be able to answer it..

·
Registered
778 Posts
well not to steal a thread, but I have a question. Can you use the VCN-1000 with the S-AFC II. I just got the S-AFC II and I'd still really like to be able to run some kind of nitrous set-up, preferably the VCN-1000. I'm still really confused about how the VCN's nitrous cut-off works and how it monitors the A/F ratio. Does it inhibit the use of an aftermarket fuel controller? Thanks, and sorry to steal a thread.

Adrian

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: Outlaw4Shrt
well not to steal a thread, but I have a question. Can you use the VCN-1000 with the S-AFC II. I just got the S-AFC II and I'd still really like to be able to run some kind of nitrous set-up, preferably the VCN-1000. I'm still really confused about how the VCN's nitrous cut-off works and how it monitors the A/F ratio. Does it inhibit the use of an aftermarket fuel controller? Thanks, and sorry to steal a thread.

Adrian
It taps into the upper O2 sensors to monitor a lean condition.

C

·
0 Posts
I don't know about the compatibility of the vcn with the afc, but the failsafe is terrific on the vcn1000. The only problem I have had is not being able to run the larger jetting. I run lean even with 19lbs injectors and Maf. Thinking about running the vcn1000 wet. If anyone has any input please let me know

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
we'll find out.
I'm ordering the S-AFCII Mon.

Even with 19lb inj. it's shutting you down?
how can you run it as a wet shot? it's set up to pulse your injectors not pull fuel
through a selinoid*sp*
I'm confused

·
Registered
778 Posts
yea, I just got my S-AFC II in the mail yesterday and I'm going to get it tuned to my car hopefully next weekend. I should also have a VCN-1000 by the end of next week so maybe I can get them on the dyno together. Gyger, we might have to compare notes .

A

C

·
0 Posts
You can run a wet setup with a shark nozzel, all you need is a second fuel solenoid. I think I know why it is running lean with the new 19# and MAF, .....It thinks I am at 2000' elevation and it is pulling timing and fuel, I need to recal, after that it will probably run fine. I will update.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
At what HP range on the dyno is it going lean?

If it is around 225FWHP then that is normal for 19lber's and FI

If you are returnless and wanting to make this into a wet kit you are talking a lot of custom fabrication and custom chip tuning.

You'd be better off just using some 24lb delphi/GM injectors (roughly 21.5-22lb Ford rating) and a custom chip.

Either way you better have a custom chip already since both the PCM and the VCN-1000 that relies on the PCM thinks you are running 17lb injectors!!!

I'd be surprised if your A/F was not out the door rich without one being as the VCN is commanding 17lb injector PW from the PCM and running it on 19lb injectors.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
You can run a wet setup with a shark nozzel, all you need is a second fuel solenoid.
WHAT????

I don't think so man. You are going to need a whole new module.
It doesn't know it's connected to a solenoid it still thinks it's attached to each injector.
You are going to need more than a solenoid and nozzle IMO.
I'd be surprised if your A/F was not out the door rich without one being as the VCN is commanding 17lb injector PW from the PCM and running it on 19lb injectors.
Couldn't you just tune with a S-AFCII to correct the condition?

C

·
0 Posts
probably an old thread already, but....You can run a wet system with returnless.. this is why
1. At WOT the fuel rail pressure sensor wants to keep psi at a certain level. once your second solenoid "steals" fuel your pulse width on the pump will automatically increase. You can also run a Kenne Bell "Boost A Pump" to insure this.
2. The VCN module is calabrated with the 17# injectors, but it has a constand "Batch Fire" setting. Larger injectors at the same pulse width will flow more fuel...period.
3. During normal operation, the MAF and ECU will shorten the PW in order to stay within the desired AF ratio. Under WOT it doesnt care. It has a preset fuel map for the 17# and it goes to its max PW. If you move to larger injectors, It will put that much more fuel in at WOT. Since the VCN-1000 only activates at WOT you are effectivly raising fuel pressure to compensate for the extra amount of oxygen.
....So theoretically, it is that simple.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
LMAO I know you can run a WET set-up with a returnless car
because you aren't going to be running a true dry set-up with it that's for damn sure.
You can ONLY run a wet shot with our returnless systems.
I wasn't questioning that fact because I knew this a long time ago.

What I was questioning was:

You can run a wet setup with a shark nozzel, all you need is a second fuel solenoid.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT????
I don't think so man. You are going to need a whole new module.
It doesn't know it's connected to a solenoid it still thinks it's attached to each injector.
You are going to need more than a solenoid and nozzle IMO.
You were saying: I'll just add a second solenoid to my VCN-1000 kit and a shark nozzle and all will be well.
But like I said you can't do that the module will not understand. Just to confirm this because I wasn't sure if I was right
I spoke with Jose the nitrous/400module tech at Python Injection, about converting it and he said they would have to make
an all new program and pretty much replace the entire module and it's never been done through their shop before.

You should've just bought a wet kit from NX if you wanted a standard wet kit.

C

·
0 Posts
NX kit works on FRP and a Fuel pressure regulator. none of which a returnless system has. I am running a "true" Dry kit now. I.E. not mixing fuel and nitrous together. If you are talking about a vnn-400 module that has nothing to do with nitrous.
And yes, you can just add a 2nd solenoid and a "shark nozzle" type system.
the vcn-1000 module cares less what you are doing with the rest of the system.
all it measures is TP, 02, power, and then it pulses the injectors and turns on the nitrous solenoid......pretty much an Idiot box. No Magic, no smoke and mirrors.
you could let it keep pulsing the injectors since it can only do that for a set amount of time, and still add more fuel/ nitrous mix.
If you wanted to get real technical, you could just send voltage to the injector harness to fool the module into thinking that it was still plugged in correctly.
either way it will work.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
If you are talking about a vnn-400 module that has nothing to do with nitrous.
what??!?!?! did you read my post?
NX kit works on FRP and a Fuel pressure regulator
yeah a DRY NX KIT but they also make wet kits for the returnless Cougar
which is why I said you should've just bought a NX KIT if you wanted a wet set-up!!!
And yes, you can just add a 2nd solenoid and a "shark nozzle" type system.
Ok what are you going to use to control the fuel solenoid? the VCN-1000? Good luck
you could let it keep pulsing the injectors since it can only do that for a set amount of time, and still add more fuel/ nitrous mix
So just to make sure I understand.... you are going to let the VCN-1000 pulse the injectors(dumping more fuel) and pull fuel from your rail into a solenoid and mix/spray that into your intake?
That's alot of fuel....and by the way what's the point of doing this? get a new fuel pump while your at it.
like I said before you should've just bought a NX Wet kit if you wanted a wet kit.:rolleyes:
Congrats you just spent a whole lot of money for something you could've bought for 480.00 from Nitrous Express:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts