New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Some day
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i wanted to get my valve covers powdercoated and wanted to know how to get those bad boys off. do i just remove all the bolts i see and pull it off? also any precautions that i need to take would be appreciated

·
Administrator
15,616 Posts
You'll need to remove the intake, TB, and UIM, of course. I can't remember if the LIM has to come as well, but it may. Good time to take it out and clean it all up anyway.

The front valve cover is pretty straightforward and easy. I did it last though, so I wasn't leaning over the head while I was working the rear.

On the very back side of the engine there is a wiring harness that runs across the back of the rear valve cover. This harness has plastic clips that are snapped onto the studs that hold the valve cover on. You'll have to unsnap that off those studs and try and pull it back and out of the way as much as possible. Holding the valve cover on will be a mix of bolts and studs with nuts on them. Keep track of what you are taking out from where! There are probably about 12 bolts holding each cover on. The backside is the worst to get to, and that harness is IN THE WAY, but it probably only took about 15 minutes to get it off. The front will take you 5. :)

You'll also need new gaskets. When I bought mine, the ones for the spark plug access were separate, so make sure you get everything.

Good luck!!

·
Some day
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm having PnP'd heads swapped out as one of the last steps in my project. i'll have the shop that does that get the darned gaskets. (I don't have time to do anythign myself so don't flame me.)

do any of the bolts on the valve covers have to be torqued to anything specific? i know about the UIM ones (well i know they have to be torqued but not the specific number--------someone can help me with that later)

btw, thanks wade

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Originally posted by: wadespencer99
You'll need to remove the intake, TB, and UIM, of course. I can't remember if the LIM has to come as well, but it may. Good time to take it out and clean it all up anyway.

The front valve cover is pretty straightforward and easy. I did it last though, so I wasn't leaning over the head while I was working the rear.

On the very back side of the engine there is a wiring harness that runs across the back of the rear valve cover. This harness has plastic clips that are snapped onto the studs that hold the valve cover on. You'll have to unsnap that off those studs and try and pull it back and out of the way as much as possible. Holding the valve cover on will be a mix of bolts and studs with nuts on them. Keep track of what you are taking out from where! There are probably about 12 bolts holding each cover on. The backside is the worst to get to, and that harness is IN THE WAY, but it probably only took about 15 minutes to get it off. The front will take you 5. :)

You'll also need new gaskets. When I bought mine, the ones for the spark plug access were separate, so make sure you get everything.

Good luck!!
Damm, I forgot to order the spark plug gaskets. Got a Part number for them?

·
Some day
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do i have to feed the seals twice a day?

BobKaBob and i were talking and he is gonna help me do the 3.0 swap. so that means he is gonna help me out with all of that. so thanks people

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.