New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recentley moved from New York to Virginia Beach. I finally overcame the horrors of the DMV and the cougar is finally registered, the only thing I had left to do was the state inspection. To my surprise the cougar did not pass the state inspection, seems that when you have your high beams on your fog lamps need to turn off? When I originally bought the cougar I asked for oem fog lamps but they put aftermarket ones on, they looked nice so I accepted them. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. My options so far are to have them taken out, which will cost me $75.00. I spoke with two car electricians, and they told me that they will not be able to re-wire them so that they shut off when the high beams go on. The only other option I have is to get oem fog lamps have them installed, while taking out the old ones. The Mercury dealership said that they could do this and the cougar would pass as they would re-wire them correctly. This seems to be the better idea as I wanted the oem ones in the 1st place. However the dealership wants $317 to get the fog lamp kit, and 2 hours for install. I understand the 2 hours install but isn't there a place or website that sells brand new oem fog lamp kits for less? Taking out the old ones and replaceing them with the new ones by completeing it myself is not an option as I do not want to mess with the electrical components of the car. The option of bringing it back to the original delaer is not an option as I am not able to travel back to New York for many months and need the cougar to pass inspection asap. I was wondering if anyone knew a place they could recommend to have the fog lamps taken out and possibly new ones put back in, and if anyone knew a good place or website to order brand new oem fog lamps? One last request, I already had maintenance work completed on the couagr 2 days ago and got ripped off, does anyone know a good honest mechanic i nthese parts? Any help would be most appreciated. By the way I will keep on the lookout for Neco meets as would like to get involved. Thanks for the time!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
First off, welcome to tidewater! ...always nice to see new members in the area....and i've got some good news for ya....you can get your inspection done at my dads shop in va beach...he can look past the foglight issue, just say you're in NECO and your in ....and as for an honest mechanic in the area, I obviously get all my work done there, and many others in tidewater so there ya go....he can give ya a deal too since you're in neco...i PM'ed you with directions to the shop and my cell number so i hope to hear from ya....later on
mark

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
yeah... why not set up the foglight to a separate switch. from what i read, it seems that your fogs are wired inline with your normal lights, correct? setting up a separate switch could help some. otherwise, i guess just do the whole stock foglight thing.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i've gone to mark's dad for about everything anymore.....he's a good guy...does damn good work....

edit:...oh yeah...welcome to neco....i just saw your post in the zetec section....it's cool to see another zetec in tidewater....zetecs rule

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome, as far as wiring the oem fog lights they should have a plug behind the bumper I'll check mine and find out. if they do it's simple snap into place kind of job. As far as wiring aftermarket ones to a switch they still have to go off when your high beams are off. If you don't go to Mark's dad then just un hook the ones you got then get it inspected and then hook them back up and BAM your inspection is there and your good for a year. Tommy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts