New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my cougar v6, when it is cold while I press the trotle it suffocates and does not receive power

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I squeeze pedal softer then it reacts normally, but with sudden pressure of the pedal there is a problem

·
8,569 Posts
Could be electrical, could be vacuum, could be fuel delivery, could be a clogged air filter, could be the infamous IMRC. We're going to need more details...have you noticed any other issues?

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I checked, what the imrc sensor should open was permanently opened and jamed by the previous owner, can it stay this way?

·
8,569 Posts
Now I checked, what the imrc sensor should open was permanently opened and jamed by the previous owner, can it stay this way?
Yes, but that's likely why it isn't running correctly. Too much air at lower throttle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably, the last time I drove it, the summer was no problem, now it started when it was colder and it was only the first few minutes while the engine was cold, then everything works normally

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Poor performance cold and better warm may indicate an EGR problem.
-Check all the vacuum lines and wiring to the EGR solenoid, EGR valve, and DPFE.
-The two exhaust sensing lines leading to the DPFE can get very brittle and degraded due to the extreme conditions and sometimes need to be replaced.
-You can also clean the EGR passages in the throttle body if you haven't done that already.

Have you checked your OBDII codes if the CEL is on?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
IMRC secondary valves pinned open will definitely cause the problem you describe. The engine is expecting MUCH less volume and much higher velocity of intake charge at low RPMs. This is classic IMRC failure.

You need to find yourself a good working IMRC actuator and get those things connected.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Always start with the things you KNOW are broken.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For now, I'll leave it until I get a new imrc, while the engine is cold, I'll bee gently on the trotle, when it warms up .. gooo baby, and thats how i should drive anyway

1 - 13 of 13 Posts