New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this was actually a while ago, but I wanted you guys to read something other than stories where a certain Integra on steroids keeps beating other cars in drag races. (sorry, TeamXtreme, I'm not trying to pick a fight w/ you)

on my way to school one day, I noticed that this guy in a modded white Integra was weaving in & out of traffic and changing laned like it was going out of style. first, I didn't really mind him that much, until he cut me off and came within inches of whacking his cancerous-looking custom rear bumper into my precious front end.
now we were both in the lane to turn right, me behind him. the street that we are turning into is a steep uphill with 2 lanes merging into 1. as we make the turn, he takes the outside lane and I take the inside bottlenecking lane, starting to pass him at WOT. then I heard him rev his car to like 8k rpms or something crazy like that. at that point, I'm thinking, "oh, God...starting to go uphill...100 feet of road left for me...I'm screwed." to my surprise, I never saw the Integra fly past me like I expected. instead, I charged up the hill at 45 mph turning 6k rpm in 2nd or something like that with no Integra to be found. I glanced in the side mirror and saw about 2 car lengths between me and the Integra. I was like, wth...I might as well have raced a Taurus.

it turns out the other guy was in one of my classes, and it also turns out that among the many mods he made to his car, he changed the flywheel. this is supposed to help the engine hit the upper revs quicker and improve acceleration for cars like the Integra. apparently, it also makes your car accelerate like crap uphill.

the moral of the story:
not all mods make your car better

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hopefully he changed the clutch out when he changed to a lightened flywheel. Lightened flywheels dont really help NA cars as much as they help FI cars. Did you ask him to make sure he had a GSR? Also what other mods did he have? You are right on the fact that our cars (Tegs) have no low end torque. That guy fits the ideal profile of a "RICEBOY". I hate people like him. Have you seen his motor? I bet he only has intake/exhaust and lies about everything else. He sounds pretty stupid if you ask me.
Dont judge all Tegs by that ricer.

Either way nice kill.

Larry

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup...total rice boy

strange thing...the guy actually had "Type-R" decals on his car, but told me it was a GSR. as far as I know, it is a GSR unless his ass was lying.
I don't know if he changed his clutch as well...I guess if he knows what he's doing (not a good assumption), he did. I'm hoping that he did put more substansial mods other that the hideous "flying nun" wing, a second tachometer placed on top of the dash, and removing all the window tint with his black leather interior (if you think about it, it's the worst thing you can do...)

don't worry, I'm not judging all Integra drivers by this sorry fool. it's totally unfair. it's like saying that all Camaro drivers are beer-bellied ********...but in reality, a friend of mine drives a 97 Z28 and she looks like a 20-year-old Pam Anderson clone. I just wish I hadn't raced and lost to her three freakin' times.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They guy probably had a Special Edition because I dont think that GSRs had leather in 98. I am not against body kits but some people put these ridiculous kits on their cars. Funny thing is that kits and wings are for downforce. When in the US are you gonna be driving where you will need that much downforce? Plus with that big wing on the rear that takes the downforce off where you need it mostly. Lets see here: Big wing on rear wheel drive car is understandable: big wing on front wheel drive is stupid.IMHO. At high speeds that will make your front end lose force on it. At the most I would say get an underbody kit for a front wheels drive car.IMHO.

Larry

G

·
as a RSX-S buyer in the near future, i know all about this car and its engine. i have driven it about 10 times, the RSX is a 160hp, VTEC on the intake side only, its bascially a SI engine with a 2.0L displacment as opposed to 1.6L and it pumps out 30ft lbs more than the SI 1.6L. the RSX-S is the same engine that controls valves on the intake and exhaust and continusly variable at that, not just a 1 changeover. it also controls lift to produce 141ft lbs, and 200HP. the RSX-S engine is a baby S2000 engine. so many of the parts available on the S2000 will fit and work on the RSX-S engine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
How they achieve continously variable valve timing is how BMW does it. The camshaft is not directly connected to the sprocket, as it usually is. Instead, the sprocket and camshaft have a donut inbetween them. The donut is movable. The donuts inner and outer edges have helical teeth, as do the places where the sprocket and camshaft touch the donut. So by moving the donut back and forth you change the cams position relative to the sprocket. Tada! Continiously variable valve timing. Since this only changes vavle timing and not valve lift it also has VTEC with it's different set of cam lobes to handle that.

G

·
"the RSX-S engine is a baby S2000 engine. so many of the parts available on the S2000 will fit and work on the RSX-S engine"

No...the RSX engine in completely different minus the obvious variable timing. THe S2000 has good old fashioned VTEC. The RSX Type S has i-VETEC...which is a more comparable engine technology to VVTL-i like my GT-S. If anything, a RSX has more in common with a GT-S than an S2000.

G

·
sorry DREW your wrong, go do some research, the S2000 engine is a 2.0L reverse engine, the RSX engine is also 2.0L reverse engine. the RSX engine reversed the intake and exhaust side, traditionally the intake was in the rear on the integras and exhaust out frony, now the intake is on the front side, while exhaust is out rear, wow if you turn the engine so it points forward, you have a S2000 engine without the cool red engine cover, instead, its a black Acura one. as far as the timing situation, that is irrelevant to the point at hand. you could use MANY PARTS MADE FOR A S2000 in the RSX, simple as that. the timing is simply the heads and cams, not the block, the BLOCK is the EXACT SAME CASTING.

·
Registered
173 Posts
G

·
<< sorry DREW your wrong, go do some research, the S2000 engine is a 2.0L reverse engine, the RSX engine is also 2.0L reverse engine. the RSX engine reversed the intake and exhaust side, traditionally the intake was in the rear on the integras and exhaust out frony, now the intake is on the front side, while exhaust is out rear, wow if you turn the engine so it points forward, you have a S2000 engine without the cool red engine cover, instead, its a black Acura one. as far as the timing situation, that is irrelevant to the point at hand. you could use MANY PARTS MADE FOR A S2000 in the RSX, simple as that. the timing is simply the heads and cams, not the block, the BLOCK is the EXACT SAME CASTING. >>

No, you misunderstood me...or I guess I should say I copied and pasted too much of the other guy's statement. What I meant to say was the fact that the S2000 has a different technology implemented than the RSX...RSX has iVTEC and the S2000 has VTEC...I couldn't give a rat's fat ass how the engine is placed. Sure, S2000 mods will probably "fit" an RSX but that does not mean the parts will "work." The RSX has a COMPLETELY different ECU type than the S2000...something the Celica GT-S owner knows oh so well...this new VVTL-i and iVTEC code is like impossible to hack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.