New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question and am looking for fellow enthusiasts opinions.

I must replace the drivers mirror assembly on my 2000 Cougar. An errant driver knocked it off.

I have ordered a used assembly. I also have the option of having my local custom shop fix it
with an assembly that is not original, but is NEW.

I weighing both options. Original is nice, of course. But, it's a 20 year old piece of plastic. What
condition is it really in? It may look just fine but I'm thinking about how brittle it might already be
or who knows?

I can't argue with new, it's just not exactly like the original. You could have the passenger mirror
replaced with the same type of new mirror. That way at least they would match?

What would you do?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Never knew anyone could get an aftermarket side mirror assembly. I know you can get the mirror glass. I have oem spares just incase something happens to the 2 cars I have. The stock side mirrors are a heated style mirror. Just incase you didn’t know. So if you do find an aftermarket side mirror just make sure it’s heated like the oem one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I'm highly skeptical of someone claiming an aftermarket mirror. Are they going to screw a trucker mirror to your fender?
Stick with original, there's no history of embrittlement problems, I wouldn't be worried about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. Any and all opinions are valuable to me.

I should emphasize that this is a CUSTOM made mirror assembly, NOT aftermarket.
Again, I appreciate everyone’s input.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Abbotsford style Abbotsford, Québec, Canada?
Passe chez Kenny U pull et ramasses-toi-en un, tu t'en tireras mieux qu'un miroir custom et un miroir standard. ils ne sont pas si difficiles à trouver dans les cours. sinon, LKQ en aura probablement un pour toi. dernière alternative, car-part.com. si tu as de la misère à trouver de quoi, fais-moi savoir et je vais fouiller aussi, je serais bienheureux d'aider un autre Québécois.

In case you're not actually from Abbotsford, QC and as such cannot read my french: IMO you'll be better off with an original mirror, lest you have a weird looking car with a factory miror and a custom one .spares shouldn't be hard to find, we have a lot of local scrapyards in Quebec. LKQ might be able to help too, or if not, car-part.com. let me know if you have trouble finding one and you are in Québec. always happy to help a local member.

I really wouldn't even entertain a custom or universal assembly .all of the cons, none of the pros.

best of luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts