New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyon re- upholstered their headliner, armrest, visors, etc.? If I used an embroidered cotton material, would I need to remove the stock coverings or could I just glue the new material on top?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I don't know what you mean about stock coverings, but I thought the headliner was all one piece. You couldn't really remove what's on there now because I think it's stock material on a flexible backing. You'd have to cover over it no matter what (or get fabric paint, but that looks really sh!tty after a while). I used a felt-like material and the Elmer's glue spray didn't work so well. I recovered the visors, but I sewed the material onto it. As far as an armrest I don't have one :(

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
the fronts were ripped apart when I got them from another member. I used a paint scraper and took off all the padding then too some sandpaper to it and make it completely smooth. I just used the 3M spray adhesive and a canvas like material. It seems to be doing great, though I have a couple spots that aren't perfect. The spray on it tricky because it soaks through the fabric if you hit it with overspray, and the basic may just be too weak. I used the red can, which I think is 77 or something, but they have stronger. Looking good though! I am talking about door panels by the way. Headliner I am really not too sure about. I am doing the same process as the fronts over the rear, but I didnt take off the fabric that was there. It's still holding to it very well. The hardest part is just getting it completely smooth. I gave up on completely smooth, but it still looks great even with a couple small blemishes. I figure there's no need for perfection because 1) I don't have a "show" car, so I am not worried about trophies and 2) the rears are hardly ever seen, so it doesn't bother me at all, cause it's dark and out of the way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by: silverkat
I don't know what you mean about stock coverings, but I thought the headliner was all one piece. You couldn't really remove what's on there now because I think it's stock material on a flexible backing. You'd have to cover over it no matter what (or get fabric paint, but that looks really sh!tty after a while). I used a felt-like material and the Elmer's glue spray didn't work so well. I recovered the visors, but I sewed the material onto it. As far as an armrest I don't have one :(
By armrest I mean the padded cover for the storage bin between the front seats... my arms are long so I use it as an armrest. When you recoverd your visors, how did you deal with the little plastic bar that keeps them attached to the headliner and the mirror(s)?

·
Super Moderator
22,397 Posts
Link Sorry for the bad pic

I have redone 3 headliner now. Its best to use actually headliner material or a natural fiber. Use a soft brass brush to peal off all the stock material. Use 3M headliner spray adhesieve. I have pics for a how too, ive just been to lazy to do it so if you need help let me know

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
At my shop we use russel 676 and 690 (676 is for standard use and 690 is high temp) works a little better I've found than the 3M, but thats just my $.02

(note- you dont HAVE to peel back the tan color part, spray the glue on, start wrapping it with your new covering!)

Dan

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by: Nonchalant008
Originally posted by: silverkat
By armrest I mean the padded cover for the storage bin between the front seats... my arms are long so I use it as an armrest. When you recoverd your visors, how did you deal with the little plastic bar that keeps them attached to the headliner and the mirror(s)?
I know what an armrest is silly. I meant "stock coverings" as in the tan part of your headliner. I didn't remove any of it because I didn't know it was possible. I just re-did my headliner a few days ago but the material won't stick so I have to do it again. I'd advise against a silky material as I couldn't get it to stick with spray adhesive.

It's kinda hard to explain, but I laid the visor on a piece of fabric. I folded it over the top part and sewed along the sides and bottom. I cut the fabric around the plastic pieces and sewed them together. It came out really nice. As far as the mirror, that came out pretty ghetto. I don't want to cover the mirror so if anyone has any suggestions, please share. (Need pics or something, let me know and I'll e-mail them)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.