New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the upgrade that you always wanted for the MTX75 trans

there are some options so bear with me on this one,
first you can get the standard helical gears or the race dog ring engagement gears

the standard gears are much quieter and better for the street by far,
but for the race oreinted guy with more power (3.0L FI guys) the dog ring gears will get the job done without you haveing to use the clutch to shift...
the syncro kit is 15% stronger than the standard gear box and the dog ring is 20% stronger
the gears feature needle roller bearings to support free running gears, optional strengthened selector forks, and a wide range of final drive ratios

gear ratios for the synco gear set is

2.643 1.824 1.400 1.130 0.962

final drive ratios are as follows
3.625 3.824 4.062 4.250 4.600 4.875

the gear kit for the dog ring style includes needle bearings, upgraded gear selectors, and a choice of first gears

gear ratios are as follows

2.462 or 2.643 1.824 1.400 1.182 1.040

final drives for this gear set are as follows

3.823 4.062 4.250 4.600 4.857

also available are gear change turret parts they use exhisting cable operation but stop over indexing and they are made of better mateirials for longer service life

prices for the sets are as follows

syncro kit 2895.00 this includes your choice of a final drive gear
dog ring gear kit 4850.00 also includes a final drive gear
final drive gears are 995.00
torque biasing differentials are 645.00

installation of these in a box are 250.00 for syncro and 300.00 for the dog ring

also available for the focus 6-speed trans

·
Registered
815 Posts
I take it you are a dealer for Quaife?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good Luck,They have been made for years I know I have full synchro close ratio gear sets all my MTX-75's. The issue like most performance upgrades no one that view this board wants to pay for it. I have been selling final drives for a couple years and have only sold 1 to a Cougar owner the rest were all ordered by Contour and Focus owners. The same goes for camshafts. There are only a hand full of hard core performance guys that drive Cougars the rest talk alot. Now maybe if you sold some neon lights or carbon cup holders this would be the place. Don't get me wrong I still think the Cougar is a great car I still own 3 of them

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah well I have to try. I guess that I feel that the car is good enough for this kind of performance I'm getting the dog engagement set up for the car I'm building. I just have to. I've also set up with them to modify the teeth on the engagement side to be clutchless. If you are interrested give me a yell. Liberty transmissions in michigan does this for all of the really fast drag cars and they have given me all the info and sold me the stuff to do it on my trans. Its cool. All you have to do is let out on the clutch and then shift.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Craig, At Liberty has been doing it for me for the last 3 years they know there stuff you have the right guys doing it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The issue like most performance upgrades no one that view this board wants to pay for it. I have been selling final drives for a couple years and have only sold 1 to a Cougar owner the rest were all ordered by Contour and Focus owners. The same goes for camshafts.

That is sooo true

real performance upgrades require real money

I'm truly glad these options are available though and will be for some time into the future for people who are serious

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
<-------- Am the cougar owner with the 4.5 final drive and more thanks to Leo.

Gonna be installing it right after this semester ends.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
There are only a hand full of hard core performance guys that drive Cougars the rest talk alot. Now maybe if you sold some neon lights or carbon cup holders this would be the place.
Not everyone on here races cars for a living and has the time and money to invest
in such a huge hobby. But we can always dream.....it's gotta start somewhere doesn't it?

Hell I know there are MORE than a hand full of us that would do alot more to our Cougars
if we had a freakin garage to work in (let alone a lift and power tools) or a house and
not a crappy apartment. You do what you can with the time and money you have.
But that absolutely doesn't mean that you're not serious about performance.

IMO There are only a hand full of guys with the money and tools to perform hardcore
mods on this forum.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: gyger
There are only a hand full of hard core performance guys that drive Cougars the rest talk alot. Now maybe if you sold some neon lights or carbon cup holders this would be the place.
Not everyone on here races cars for a living and has the time and money to invest
in such a huge hobby. But we can always dream.....it's gotta start somewhere doesn't it?

Hell I know there are MORE than a hand full of us that would do alot more to our Cougars
if we had a freakin garage to work in (let alone a lift and power tools) or a house and
not a crappy apartment. You do what you can with the time and money you have.
But that absolutely doesn't mean that you're not serious about performance.

IMO There are only a hand full of guys with the money and tools to perform hardcore
mods on this forum.
My thoughts exactly.
I've been trying to upgrade my engine to a 3.0 w/ all N/A goodies for some time now, but as I'm not rich, I always have to delay my plans...
The cougar is a hobie for me, and, although I love it, priorities like bills, college tuition, and my fiance have to come first.
So, as gyger put it, we do what we can...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I applaude all of you for doing what you are doing. managing a life and modifying your car is very hard to do. Not only is it costly but time consuming and when you have things like a job, school, a fiance,GF, or wife those things take up time. Some more than others but they all eat up time. I wanted to post this info for guys who might not have known that this stuff even exhisted. There are lots of parts out there for these cars that not a lot of people know about and that what turns them off to this car. Its not the stying, most everyone loves the look of these cars. Its the fact that most poeple think that these cars have nothing going for them in the aftermarket.

T.J.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The only reason I knew about some of these products is that the shop I works for is a dealer for Quaife. They had some? of these products listed in their catalog.

Good call making these products known to the board. Im sure 99% of the people here had no idea they existed. The problem for most people is the price. Although I feel the cosmetic stab is a rather accurate assesment for this board. For what people spend on their body kits/work, sometimes gaudy rims, etc. they could have one heck of a drivetrain for the same price. To each their own though. I dont think a good number of people in general (including a number of people on this board) take the cougar sereously as a performer. That also hurts the sale of real performance parts. Also the cougar is the daily driver for many. If I were looking at a close ratio gearset as those described above, the car would have to be a toy. With no overdrive highway fuel economy would be a killer. This is my opinion anyway.. I can and have definatly been wrong in the past. These are FANTASITC options for us, but unrealistic for the majority of the board I feel.

BTW Jagular has excellent prices

1 - 12 of 12 Posts