New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my differential decided it wanted to blow up after only 32,000 miles of faithful service. Luckily I am away at school and am only about 20 minutes down the road from Terry Haines. Now, the trans is being pulled and sent to HMS for fitting of a Quaife and a strip down. What are things that I should look into replacing? I have read about upgraded shift forks and some bearings that tend to wear, is there anything else? Also, while it is out I figure I may as well have a new clutch fitted, only mods are intake/exhaust/gutted precats... SVT? SPEC Stage 1?

Basically I am looking for advice and any must-haves while the trans is out of the car but keeping in mind I am a college student without gobs of cash to be dropping. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you dont have the diff already I have a stock unit I pulled from my car I would just about give to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate offer Guile, but I have my heart set on the Quaife LSD. If clutch wear is significant I am going with an SVT unit. Trans should be at HMS in a day or two. Has anyone had experience with the Focus-spec shift forks?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hey, I have a 99 too, and mine is doing the same thing at 46,000 miles...I'm going to have to replace the tranny, I don't have the money to upgrade right now. I don't know what causes this, but it sucks...the mtx75 was discontinued for a reason!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts