New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford plans to sell a rear-drive conversion kit for the Focus, with an expected cost of about $5,000.

Ford Racing Performance Parts took a European-spec Focus RS and turned it into a tire-melting rear-wheel drive V8-powered project car to showcase their new modular V8 crate engine, the 5.0L DOHC "Cammer" producing 420 horsepower. The Focus RS8 was introduced at this years SEMA show.

Food for thought...

----------------------------------

And more ford news too..

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=06906182

[GnuLoCo]

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
RE:Ford plans to sell a rear-drive conversion kit for the Focus, with an expected cost of about $5,000.

OMG OMG OMG

any feasible possibility of making it fit the Cougar? if so, then I might just keep my car indefinitely :cool:

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
RE:Ford plans to sell a rear-drive conversion kit for the Focus, with an expected cost of about $5,000.

Ummm... this is kinda really really really old news.... i forget the name of the company but they have been making this conversion kit for over 2 years now..... price is about 5000$.... mind you that does not include the engine, transmission, driveshaft or rear-end... and i'm sure the ford conversion kit won't include it either.....

the kit can be adapted to a cougar with some tweaks, and this company also showed interest in making a true cougar/contour kit, but lack of participation has stopped that project

oh and a rear wheel drive 5.0L focus has already been in Sport Compact Car

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

I think the best news from this is that Ford will be investing more $ into performance!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts

oh and a rear wheel drive 5.0L focus has already been in Sport Compact Car
was that the focus that ripped the corvette a new one?

Mike

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

Originally posted by: scottina99
I think the best news from this is that Ford will be investing more $ into performance!
When their cars hit the streets with as much power as nissan is putting out is when I will be impressed. Until then I see 350 Z in my future.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

well... I would go for a T56 with a DOHC 4.6L personally...

This could be done... and then i would boost the hell out of it...

Who knows... maybe some day i will follow my dreams and put an LS1 with a T56 in the coug...

Till then the only way im making 400hp is my GTI :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE:UPDATED! Ford plans to sell a rear-drive conversion kit for the Focus, with an expected cost of about $5,000.

·
Registered
832 Posts
RE:UPDATED! Ford plans to sell a rear-drive conversion kit for the Focus, with an expected cost of about $5,000.

Ok, this guy posts on the Focaljet and a few other forums, he's a former Ford engineer, built his own custom turbo based on the Aerocharger and bought one of the first Pectels and tuned it himself. He regularly takes his 200hp stock block Focus on track and runs all day long. He's pretty much the smartest guy I've ever read on any board. Here's what he had to say about this kit.

Originally posted by: P-51
Personally, this car frustrates me.

First of all, it's been done by two other companies already. The V8 install. Maybe even 3. I'm not sure if this Ford Racing setup is just rebadged from one of those manufacturers.

In any case, all the previous V8 swaps have sucked giant moose c***. They handle like ****, yet aren't even fast in a straight line because... they're hard to drive straight. I've never seen somebody get one down a quarter mile.

The ATI Cobra Focus showed up at SoloII Nats this year, and I believe it got spanked by a few H stock Focuses.

I'm disappointed Ford would waste time and energy on this clusterfuck. If they were smart, they would take the engineering resources used for this thing, and developed an AWD conversion based on the Jaguar X-type platform.

The Xtype rear suspension is very very similar to the stock Focus rear, and should bolt up easily. Furthermore, the Xtype uses the same transmission as the Focus, with an AWD power takeoff unit bolted to the side. So that's an easy swap too.

The whole thing should be so easy to do, and nobody has done it yet... but instead they give us this abortion.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me. They can't figure out the sport compact market, we know that. This is just more evidence they have their heads stuck in the musclecar sand.

I wonder if marketting has anything to do with it. Heaven forbid they make a Focus faster than a Cobra. It's easier to excuse if it's using a Cobra drivetrain. If you could bolt on an AWD system and turbo onto your Focus for about the same cost as a Cobra, and spank it in every way... wouldn't help Cobra sales I'm sure.

-2001 Ford Focus

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: UPDATED! Ford plans to sell a rear-drive conversion kit for the Focus, with an expected cost of about $5,000.

I agree with you 100%. The amount of fabrication would probably be less. Here is my question for you. When installing an electronically controlled awd system, how would you control it? Is there an aftermarket controller for something like this? And without a controller would the system just default to its 60/40 split??

[GnuLoCo]

·
Registered
832 Posts

:shrug:Idonno, just posting what he said.;)

Personally, I have thought of doing a rwd swap, in my wildest dreams at least, but I'd use a built Zetec turbo if I did it. That way you save a bit of weight and still have decent power and handling. There's a company in the UK that makes a RWD swap for the Focus with an IRS and it looks pretty cool. There are even some 400hp RWD Zetec Foci over there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts