New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ended up caving and taking the car to Ford on Friday (can't trade in a car that doesn't drive right?)....they said that the alternator was fried, and there was also some wiring that was fried, and melted connectors (which was probably the burning smell i noticed)...the alternator was bought from lance's dealership, so I only had to pay for labour...this sounds a lot like what was wrong with dan's car...and after driving my car home today, i noticed that this has fixed a lot of electrical gremlins that have been haunting my car since my original alternator went (alarm not arming properly, some LED's always being on, some switches not lighting up)...either way, this has bought me some time and the fix is warrantied for a year, so at least if something goes wrong again, i'm not totally shafted. I still intend to sell the car, but I think I will hold off until spring...it will give me time to either sell it privately with the mods, or take my time stripping it before i get rid of it...sorry for getting everyone all excited about the parts :tongue: I do still know who wanted what, so when I actually do strip it, I will message you guys first and see if you still want to buy them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, the connectors on the alternator were fine when I changed it...but they said the wiring it self was bad (maybe i should have checked the resistance)... funny things is when i noticed that burning smell i was freaking out cuz i was thinking what if it catches on fire like dans! :tongue:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
My old car did the same sort of thing. Voltage reg blew and fried off a six inch section of the harness which connects to it. Several plastic parts around it got scorched. Could have caused a fire.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top