New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just wanted to post some current pics of how my current setup looks. Can't see the turbo in that shot but you can see my turbo manifold, my 70mm MAF, my NX Shark Nossle and the legendary HKS Super-Sequential BOV.

I'm only gonna post the one inline and just post a link to the folder where the rest a located, pressed for time right now. If somebody else wants to put them inline feel free. It ain't real pretty, but it works.

http://www.axs4u.net/home/louiem/update/

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
good luck, again!! what kinda internal work does this engine have??

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
fomr scratch!!AWESOME!! but what a wirery mess!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much.

Yeah, like I said, ain't pretty but it works. The wires are mainly for the nitrous and EGT guage. Yep, totally from scratch, my Dad made it and neither of us had any turbo knowledge going into the build. Learned everything by surfing the web and Focus forums.

The engine is stock and it's my second engine.:flushed: Blew the first one finding out the hard way just what the timing limits of the zetec are. Won't happen again, though I won't run nitrous except at the track with race gas to be extra safe. Those numbers in my sig were done on 91 octane gas in Arizona 100deg heat.

I'll be heading back to StreetFlight in December to fine tune the A/F and timing and tune the cam gears. I hope to hit 220whp at the same psi. Keep in touch.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
wow, its lookin nice! good luck! what else do you have to do still? anything?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, posted mainly to get a snap shot of where I am right now. As I said I'm going to go back to StreetFlight to fine tune the chip and dyno tune the cam gears.

I also need to do something to my hood. I want to make some kind of custom scoop or vents. I am seriously thinking about doing a custom top mount intercooler and so I'd need a custom hood scoop. I also need some vents in the hood to get rid of some of the hot air I got under there. I've recorded 156F intake temps at 75F ambient air temps crawling through traffic. Even going 70 on the highway I still get temps at least 10deg above ambient with the AC off. With the AC on I've recorded temps of 100F when the ambient temp is 76F.

If I do a top mount intercooler it will be to get a different look with the scoop and to shorten the intake pipes to improve spool up. If I don't do that and keep the FMIC, I'll do a set of hood vents like the Lancer Evo 7.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I must say congrats! Very impressive. I am glad to see someone taking the initiative and Make It Happen! I did that with the CAI when no one said it was possible and now you've turboed your zetec! Why not try to Make kits for other zetec owners?

G

·
Seawulf- lookin good bro!! Dont worry about the looks of it. Because when your flyin by people they wont see the inside of the engine anyways :D

Like everyone else said - MUCH respect for building it yourself!!!!

Keep up the good work and keep us informed of how everything is going!

Are you using stock pistons? Just curious...

~Doug

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I can't weld so I don't think I can make enough money to make enough cash to make a cheap turbo kit for Zetec's. Plus Zetec owners are cheap, why do you think we got Zetecs instead of V6s.:tongue: Remembe my initial kit only cost $800. Doing it myself also alowed me to make the turbo kit lay-a-way style, only buying what parts I needed at the time.

The engine is stock. Stock rods and pistons are good to around 200-230hp on pump gas. With 100oct gas the stock zetec can do 300whp with every bolt on.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
This is a very impressive setup. Seeing it in person before the explosion of the first motor was a very awesome experience. I never got to ride in it though, which sucks. But, Congrats on getting that second motor in there.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
question: during anytime in the install of the turbo, was the car undrivable? or did you make sure you could drive it after every time you worked on it? because i would love to do this after saving up some cash, and with the help of you if you were willing and able to give advise and input. but my cougar is a daily driver, so i would need it after i worked on it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The design and build of the initial system took two months and the car was on blocks for the whole time. After that when I did the turbo swap and downpipe redesign the car was again down for three weeks for changes. When the motor blew the car was down for another two months.

While the car was running and I didn't try to swap things out the car was only down for a few hours at a time while I changed things around. The only time the car was down overnight was when I started work late and what I wanted to do didn't work and I had to put things back to stock and it was to dark too keep working. The car never stranded me except one time when I had a MSD DIS 2 installed and it crapped out on me and shut the motor down. Took it off and the car started up like normal.

All the work was done primarily in the beginning by my Dad during work and only for a couple hours a day. When I worked on it, it was usually for 8-10 hours a day. My dad's an auto shop teacher and most of the work was done at his school's shop and there is a full set of tools there.

G

·
Mad props to you, really mad props !!

I can only ADMIRE and SUPPORT ppl like you, take the hit, take a chance and DIY, together with your dad....very impressive.....(just as Puck, Uridian and quite a few others here......utter respect for ppl like DIY'rs...)

That instead of bringing it to shop and have the CC (mommy or daddy workx too) pay for it......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts