New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in a drag strip thread that a guy pulled a good time and he said that he unplugged his EGR. DOes that work for power but i assume there are some adverse effects riight?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
removing the EGR will greatly increase hp in more than one way. The EGR was designed to "recycle" exhaust and decrease harmful emmisions. Doing this drains your car of power. It's almost like drinking your pee, it fills you up at first but quickly you realize it was a big mistake. You lose an easy 10 hp there. Another way it increases power is by causing your cel to come on. When this occurs your car will run a little rich just as a precaution. When you run rich you gain power, lots of it.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
You're not actually serious, are you, Tiger?

The EGR valve serves to recycle unburnt HCs in cold exhaust, but it serves a different purpose- To cool the engine when hot.

Yes, that's right, I said cool. When the engine combustion temperatures become too high, the ECU will flag the injector pulse width down a certain percentage and open the EGR valve. This recycles spent gases back into the intake stream, effectively adding an inert gas to the mixture to avoid cylinder overheating.

Now, at WOT, the engine is more concerned with making power, so the ECU flags to run with no EGR duty cycle and richer mixture to avoid the same condition. Unplugging the EGR valve will send the ECU into fits, cause a CEL, and net you 1-2hp (negligible) and hotter cylinder temps.

Mmmmm... Toasty! :thumbsdn:

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you also just unbolt it from the manifold you'll have BIG problems starting your car, and you'll run hella lean. Some people have put "restrictor" plates over their opening so the flow is not as great; however I do not believe there has been a proven HP gain, or loss because of this plate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by: DanG

The EGR valve serves to recycle unburnt HCs in cold exhaust, but it serves a different purpose- To cool the engine when hot.

;
Using ehaust gases to cool the engine? Ive never heard that one before. Damn your better at this than me

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: TigerPeenus
Originally posted by: DanG

;
Using ehaust gases to cool the engine? Ive never heard that one before. Damn your better at this than me
Your pointless banter is getting old! Before you get banned, read your private messages (PM), in particular, the one from me. To do this, click on this symbol in the upper left of your screen

Heed the warning in the PM or you will be banned.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I thought you gained power by running lean. How so many people blow their engine because fuel just acts as a combustant. Air, or oxygen, is the stuff that goes boom meaning meaning more air and less fuel means a bigger explosion and more power. Right? That's bascially why people mod their engine, for more air.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, well seriously now. When people mod their car to take in more air. The car recognizes that more air is being introduced to the engine there for it feeds more fuel. Theoretically the A/F ratio should never change regardless of how much air is being taken in (unless something is wrong with your car or you adjusted it yourself). So you shouldnt be running lean if you attach CAI etc... see im being good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
ahh, yes his explination was fairly good......as long as the increased air flow moves past the MAF sensor then you will not run lean because the ECU will read the amount of air then tell the injectors to inject enough fuel to compensate. That's a pretty dumbed down explination but it will work. Running lean is BAD don't do it on purpose ;)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
However, the PCM has set parimeters, and when you go beyond said parimeters it "confuses" the PCM.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I actually knew that but, nevermind. I dunno. Why do people run lean than?

Is there a set amount of too much air that your car can take in (naturally aspirated) where you would ever have to reprogram the ecu to compensate or is this only on forced induction.

·
Registered
585 Posts
DanG, would you be willing to explain how the EGR cools the engine in a little more detail? I don't understand how adding a gas (A very hot one at that) to the mixture would decrease cylinder temps.

·
Registered
408 Posts
As the name indicates, the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system allows a small volume of inert exhaust gas into the air intake stream. By doing so, it lowers the combustion chamber temperature, not really the engine temperature, there-by reducing emissions and eliminating spark knock (an engine damaging condition).

The EGR valve only opens and allows exhaust gas to enter the intake under relatively high and steady engine vacuum conditions, i.e., generally steady speed and cruise conditions. The EGR valve DOES NOT open at engine idle (by design) or under heavy acceleration when engine vacuum momemtarily drops. In other words, it does not come into play when you stomp on the throttle going down the track.

I recommend leaving the EGR hooked up. This will prevent the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/check engine light from coming on, an error code being being sent to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), and spark knock. Also, you won't potentially fail an emissions test if your state requires them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pardon my jumping in. I have mods on my '99 cougar (AEM intake, custom big-breather CAT, and Remus dual exhaust). I beleive I am running too lean at this point (occasional codes indicating this). How do I get the CPU to add more fuel to compensate for the extra air? Currently she hesitates at low revs (feels like a limiter or something) but screams at 4000+rpms. Ideas? Solutions?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Fuel injector cleaner might work.....also might want to see if there are any vacuum leaks on your intake. I had one from my AIT sensor. The lean you speak of, is it a particular bank, or is it a general lean code?

·
Registered
404 Posts
IStern6 I know this might seem too simple but did you reset the ECU so it could compensate for the upgrades?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been there. I reset the ECU after each mod, as well as a 'double reboot' after all the mods were complete. I am on my 2nd tank in a row with Techron fuel injector cleaner, and about to replace the fuel filter.
I think am gonna have to try to (cheaply) increase my fuel to air ratio. Ideas?

·
Registered
674 Posts
well if you are lean on only one bank there are several posibilities.....

A gasket is bad, either UIM, or LIM
One of your injectors is bad
Your o2 sensor is bad
bad lower injector o-ring

just a friendly remiender that lean conditions can kill engines.....Do not put this aside

1 - 20 of 29 Posts