New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have bought an Unorthodox Underdrive pulley and am very hesitant to install it. I have seen a few sides to as this is a good or bad thing:

Why it works: Our engines are internally balanced, so there is no real need for a mass dampener, this is more of a redundancy and may cause a slight vibration over the lieftime of the enginer, but will have no effect on the engine that it can't handle, and it shouldn't ever even get close to hurting anything.

Why it doesn't work: We need mass dampening, maybe even a dual mass dampener as Ford is now doing to ensure engine bearing longevity, and anything without any mass dampening is just engine suicide.

Now I'm guessing the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but I am trying to see which side it is favoring here. Obviously we all want our cars to last forever and not be hurting it for a 4-5 HP gain. However, if this is nothing that will hurt the engine, it should be worth doing.

Lastly, is the SHO Shop pulley set worth getting instead, they apparently leave the factory dampeners on?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You are not going to find any "real" answer here. You can search and find that some like some don't like.... I personally do not have one but my friend does on his Ford Probe for many miles and nothing has happened yet as of 105,000 miles. Yes the SHO one has the factory dampen on it.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,979 Posts
Personally I would use a DMD on the crank and get underdrive pulleys for your power steering pump and alternator.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Personally I would use a DMD on the crank and get underdrive pulleys for your power steering pump and alternator.
Yes I agree 100%! Extend the life of your alternator and p/s pump while making more power! Sounds like a good deal to me!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Where could someone get there hands on those? :)

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,979 Posts
96blackSE is on here a lot as well.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this just the same thing that the SHO Shop sells?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the group buy order from SHO Shop, if not, how is it different?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.