New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting an underdrive pulley from zxtuner. Has anyone tried this (either the zxtuner one or another)? I'm worried that my headlights will dim (I just bought HIDs and love them), or the battery won't recharge properly w/ the alt being underdriven. Has anyone who has an underdrive pulley had any of these issues or any issues with anything else?

Also I have heard of overheating issues so I would get a low temp thermostat also. Is this a necessary measure with the cougar?

I have stock CD player, no changer and don't use AC or heat very often, just light defroster in mornings. So I'm not particularly worried about those accessories being underdriven.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,415 Posts
you should not have any problems with the UDP. I had one on my zetec for a long time. never had any problems with charging or the lights dimming. i never had any overheating issues either, even with the turbo. dont bother with the low temp thermostat, all it does is open sooner so it takes longer for the engine to get to operating temp (which it will reach).

HIDs FTW. :D

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I have a ADC UD pully on my 2.5L felt smoother throughout RPM's No problems, have had it for 2 years or something. I started to notice my lights/gadges dimming when my sub hits.. time for a capacitor.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Ive had my under drive pulley on my zetec for a while (20% under drive) I haven't had any problems and did notice a bit more response and pep after the install too. Its a good inexpensive add on.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Get the 2 piece UDP from CFM. Its a pulley for the crank & the water pump so you don't slow down the water pump. You honestly shouldn't have problems with it at all. It will definately rev quicker & you'll notice an improved power band.

CFM

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
quick question because i was thinking about this as well...
one my AC is bad and apparently has been for a while now i can take it out and free up some horsepower... what belt would be good after taking the AC out....

two, this pully gets installed where on the car... i know its probly a dumb question but what does it all replace?

you would have to measure around the pullies, then take that measurement to a parts store and they can give you a belt that length. the underdrive pulley replaces the crank pulley.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,415 Posts
you can also just go to the parts store and ask for a belt for the cougar without AC. if you have an UDP get a belt one size smaller (generally)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just when you get the UDP installed the thing to usually do if you're unsure of the belt size take your old one & cut it. Run the belt like usual minus your ac compressor, then just mark or cut off the excess & go to your part store. They should be able to figure out what size belt you need.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Also remember though that there are different size pulleys out there. Not many but a few, plus whether you get a 1 or 2 piece udp.

The belt check is just for piece of mind on getting the right size, because you usually get a smaller belt just for the UDP & then factor in no AC so it should be even shorter.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
You might also want to look into a odp for your alternator. From what I remember, my past cougars had a lot of issues charging . As for zxtuner. I would look around. He (they) pissed off a lot of the zx2 guys with their high prices and bad service and slow shipping. I would look on ebay or possibly scan teamzx2.com they have a few guys who do group buys. and offer a good product

·
Registered
789 Posts
Massive Speed Systems has a stock sized pulley thats lighter so you get the benefits of the UDP without the alt spinning slower. Look in their section on Focus Fanatics.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I had the one from zxtuner and ran it with no problems at all. and yea, thats really the only mod you'll feel any power difference from on a zetec.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I had the one from zxtuner and ran it with no problems at all. and yea, thats really the only direct bolt-on mod you'll feel any power difference from on a zetec.
Fixed that for ya Grant! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I had the one from zxtuner and ran it with no problems at all. and yea, thats really the only mod you'll feel any power difference from on a zetec.

Thats sad but true. The Weapon-R Dragon CAI w/Ext Pipe Made the only Difference on my cougar :facepalm: Sad but its a Ford for ya

1 - 20 of 29 Posts