New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to scream, my underbody neons have gone on the fritz AGAIN. I've lost track on how many times I've had to re-wire my underbody neons, but its been at least 10 times now.

What happens is when it rains, water gets into my connections and shorts the system.

Originally, I had the neons installed about 3 years ago by a local company that did a really bad job (only twisted the two wires together and wrapped some electrical tape around them). I got caught in a little slush & salt on the roads before the car went into storage and the connections started rusting. Thus the start of my problems.

Last August, I took apart all the connections and did it correctly by myself. I cut off all the rusted wire that I could find; saudered the connections back together using anti-corrosion sauder; used weather proof shrink-wrap around the connections; and wrapped more electrical tape around that. I even replaced the transformer because it burnt out due to all the electrical shorts.

My neons worked perfectly, and I was very proud of myself figuring I had done a great job (seeing as I was a novice in the electrical area). Anyways, last week we had a very heavy rain storm and my neons haven't worked since!

Did I do something wrong? Did I miss something? Should I of done something else? What am I missing here!?! Please help :( I'm going crazy :crazy:

Thanks,
Darrell.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
No matter what, water will get to the electrical connections. The wires should not be cut any where near the outside of the engine bay or next to the neon housings. It seems like the original installer cut the neon's wire and spliced in extra wire from the neon housing near the end caps. There originally should be a straight line from the neon to the power transformer. All I can say is check all the fuses and the power transformer. Also is there any water inside the tubing?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, what your saying is my neons have no hope whatsoever? :( This sucks. Is there anything I can do to waterproof my connections?

I haven't troubleshoot the neons yet. I know water is the cause, but she's going in storage next week and I'll look at them in detail then.

Thanks for your help.

G

·
i feel your headaches man. Im currently on my 4th set. Couple times they have busted and originally I bought a cheap set. I just installed another set last weekend and this time I did it the way its supposed to be installed. A set of new neons should come with rubber sleevings that you can slide over where the connections are being made between each tube. After sliding the sleeve over the electrical taped connections , wrap the sleeve over in electrical tape to add another layer of protection, so you should basically have three layers to protect it, electrical tape --> thick rubber sleeve --> electrical tape ----> Connection. You also want to make sure there is no harsh rubbing on the wiring going into the engine bay and keep the transformer away from a high heat source, the heat can deteriorate the life of your transformer. and most important of all, DONT GET LAZY WITH YOUR WIRING....because in due time something will happen.

Edit: Some quick tips to check your current set of neons. Check the ground on your transformer and make sure its nice and clean. Be sure you have live hot with no other accessories running of it. Your neons need a good clean source of voltage. Do the usual, checking of the connections between each tube and make sure there are no , what I call "crustys" , where there has been so much dirt, rust, and salt build up its actually crusty...this could cause a flickering in an individual tube.

If all else fails, the best thing to do is to DE-install the neons, inspect each tube and test each tube outside of the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I'm on my third set right now... first set didn't make it back from Cougarfest, the second set developed a 'short' of some sort, even though no wiring was ever cut or extended... and now I'm on another set of SG Gold.... ::crosses fingers::

G

·
Originally posted by: 01blkcat
I'm on my third set right now... first set didn't make it back from Cougarfest, the second set developed a 'short' of some sort, even though no wiring was ever cut or extended... and now I'm on another set of SG Gold.... ::crosses fingers::
damn Jason, same happened to me! The driving to Cougarfest killed my brackets and it was too late to relize it.

-----------------------------------------------

I think SC Gold Lines are a waste of hard earned money if bought retail. I owned one set and didnt think they were amazing. I now own a set of REACTOR and have owned a set of FUSION underbodies and they are the same size and glow just as bright if not a little more than my original SC.

If you are paying more than 110 for a set of underbodies you are getting jipped.

G

·
Originally posted by: Excelcier
What are you guys doing with all the "dead" sets? I can probably fix most of them unless a tube is physically damaged.
I either sell my remainders, or keep them as a back up if a tube on my current car busts.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: Excelcier
What are you guys doing with all the "dead" sets? I can probably fix most of them unless a tube is physically damaged.
I've got a full Varad LED set in blue in my garage - purchased it brand new, never got around to fully installing it... I have a feeling that is what is going on the Cougar next year! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A set of new neons should come with rubber sleevings that you can slide over where the connections are being made between each tube.
Yeah, thats what the shrink wrap stuff was I used. On a new set of neons, how far away from the tube can you make the connection? I've only got about a couple inches.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Id say forget the neons...but in my own opinion of course. LED kits will save alot of time and money over time. They dont really produce the same glow, a little more directed, but hell of alot brighter in some colors. I had made my own LED bar with 10 green LED's way back before they were mass produced. Still works but is currently on a ski boat's front bow, so all that water and salt...still work fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts