New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from the title, I have other problems with my cougar:

1) Rattle in engine bay around 1.5k rpm when setting off in first.
2) Minor amount of steering wheel judder when engaging gears when the engine/gearbox is cold
3) Squeaking rear shock absorber
4) Very spongey brakes - is this normal?
5) Inefficient brakes. This car has frightened me when needing to stop quickly.
6) Nasty grating noise when brakes are applied reasonably strongly for around 8 seconds or more - I've heard the brakes can make uninspiring noises..
7) Lots of road noise considering the soft suspension

I've got to say I'm disappointed with this car. It has 19k miles on the clock and a full ford service history. The interior/exterior is mint with no scratches/blemishes etc.. but I think the overall build quality lets it down.

I am however prepared to change shocks/brakes, fit dynamat etc.. to make this car more enjoyable but right now, just doesn't compare with my MR2 except on boot space. Hardly a resounding improvement! so plenty of advice needed...

Cheers

Rob

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Rob,

On the basis that you have had some hits and no response, Welcome.

Sounds as if you may have a dog. Not the usual experience. 19K and already on the market? Sure of that mileage?

Just about everything you state is not my, or the generally reported experience, as I'm sure that you have already checked on this forum.

Items 4) & 5) for example not much travel on the pedal and seriously work effectively when required, and 6) no personal experience nor nothing previously posted (?).

Although everyone posting is a Cougar enthusiast there does not appear to be any rose tints being worn.

MR2 is a smart looking car but.......

Hang in and get checked what you have bought. Mon am or Fri pm build? or is this just one of those rumours?

Of course at 19K you are still under warrenty, aren't you!

Good luck :thumbsup:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rob
I'm a recent Cat owner, and I am very pleased with it. Granted, the brakes are not the finest feature of the car, but they stop me, and I am going to upgrade in a short while to race-spec ones.
The rattle and general noise in the engine bay sounds to me like a problem I had with another car - engine mounting bushes.
Stick with this forum, I can guarantee (almost) that you will find some if not all your answers here. They're a great bunch, and very knowledgeable.
I changed my last car - a 2001 C-Class Mercedes Elegance on lease, to buy the Cat. Thats how much I think of them!
Ken:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
welcome
right brakes grating=check your discs and pads
scary moments=they are a pile of crap if you "enjoy" driving get rid of the standards and upgrade them with replacement discs and pads or go the whole hog and get four/six piston callipers and HUGE discs:biggrin: good excuse to get big wheels!!!LOL
spongy brakes are NOT normal get em checked over they might need bleeding they get very hot with enthusiastic driving
as for road noise different tyres will help but you should be getting bigger wheels as the tyres are cheaper!!
if you push it a little harder youll find the suspension is not as soft as it appears?
cant help much with the others sorry

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rob and welcome

Your brakes certainly need a little attention.
I had the discs and pads replaced on mine at 31,000m, now on 41,000m and they work damn fine.
Replacement done by Ford.

This weekend I had occasion to brake from 130mph when a Landrover pulled over into the fast lane in front of me (I was on a private road of course) and they slowed me down very quickly and efficiently.

No spongey pedal, no pulling, no juddering, no skidding, just fast slow down.

Grating/grinding brakes is a sure indication of worn out pads, you are riding metal on metal, very dangerous.

Your rattle coupled with judder from the gearbox indicates a worn engine or gearbox mounting.

I have to agree with Mac1, are you sure of the mileage, at that mileage you shouldn't have these sort of problems, unless of course the previous owner really wanked the car.

Hope this helps

Garry

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CV3 6JA, Kenilworth Court.

Yeah the mileage is good, the car has only been used on w/ends by a local guy for the last 2 years. I have all MOTs and complete ford service history. This car doesn't even have a stonechip!

I think it's probably been stood recently..

Brakes - Are there replacement discs that work with the current calipers?
I'm also looking at changing the ICE. Is it easy to get hold of conversion face plates?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use to spend alot of time in Coventry when i was a "Rave" Dj.

Use to go to Bangin Tunes to buy my records, then go clubbin @ The Eclispe.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Conversion Plate about £8 - £15 Quid max.
You can get them anywhere Halfords sell them.
To replace rear speakers is a *****,had to make my own plate to mount my Apline TYPE r'S in the original speaker holes.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by: robcopse

Yeah the mileage is good, the car has only been used on w/ends by a local guy for the last 2 years. I have all MOTs and complete ford service history. This car doesn't even have a stonechip!

I'm also looking at changing the ICE. Is it easy to get hold of conversion face plates?

Heavy Subs But I Found Can Be Delicate Right Amp Needed Or Else Will Blow Within 6 Months Or So.Infinity Kappa VQ 1`2" Car Subwoofer Heavy Subs

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by: robcopse

face plates can be bought any where motor world halfords etc expect to pay between £10-£15
matt has ebc turbogroove discs with black stuff pads not sure on the total price but well worth it altho i would go with the green pads as they work a bit better.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI Rob, welcome. EBC Barkes and green stuff seems to be the way forward.

Stereo is an easy option with the Cougaras there is plently of room in all areas for upgrading, decent wiring, deep doors and a hugh boot scream out to be filled with fun!!

Good lick with your car

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hello !!

Just to add my pennys worth. The brakes are indeed ****e.....known fact.
Build quality is typical Ford I agree. However, my car has 97k on the clock, lowered suspension and I don't have a single squeak or rattle from anywhere in the car. Mind you, I will let you know what happens after my ICE is installed as they will be ripping apart a large section of the dashboard. :biggrin:

With regards to your Toyota MR2, it's not really fair to the big heavy, front engined, front wheel drive Cat, to compare it to a mid engined rear wheel drive car that was put together by state of the art robots. Plus we all know (plastick dashboards aside) that Japanese cars are very reliable.

Anyhow, so long as you look at the Cat for what it is (a moderatly swift cruiser) and not a great handling A - B point and squirt car, you SHOULD be very happy. The car looks great. It's comfortable (above 30mph) and is pretty rare. It's good enough for me ! :thumbsup:

So in short, welcome to the club. Don't be afraid to ask things. We are all humans and we agree the car does have faults. :banana:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with everyone here too, the brakes are plop, I replaced mine for standards, and had a massive improvement (ie the pads dont smoke after an anchoring session)

I love my Cat, cos there arent millions around so you are more individual, I love the great big doors, I'm 6' 5" and have the seat all the way back, any other car Im looking out the rear passengers side window, even in a Mercedes New E Class.

It is a Big heavy car, but she loves the motorways, and theres not too many dramas if you just so happen to see 100mph+, also its not so heavy as not to be able to smoke your everyday Novas, Calibra's, Golf GTI's and XR3I's (Only Wessa will see the XR3I's in Diamond White, Whale tail, Bodged Bodykit and back to front basecaps are standard issue)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Generally agree with the above and there were certainly some build quality issues in the first couple of years the car was produced but I have a 2000 year model and most of it is well put together and I have had no reliability problems at all.

I have found the brakes work well but they fade badly after a bit of hard driving. I am at 37k with original ford disks fitted and they are still in good condition. I am going to fit EBC Green Stuff pads without changing the disks for now to try and reduce the fade a little.

With regard to road noise - what tyres are fitted? The original Michelin 215/50/16 were quiet, I have tried BF Goodrich on the front and they could produce quite a bit of noise on some road surfaces. If the tyres are not original, why have they been changed? maybe you need to check that mileage again.

I think the Cougar should be a much more relaxed cruiser than the MR2 and if you are not expecting blistering performance and pinsharp handling should find it a really enjoyable car. (you could always fit Nitrous, strut braces and lower stiffer suspension though?)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi

Up rate your brakes with grooved & drilled discs & grenn stuff pads .
i have its really affective & sounds great at high speed braking you feel a little juddering
but it is only the grooves in the discs .

Also less brake dust to clog up your wheels;
iam ashamed to say i have 78.000 miles on my clock now on a X plate but i love to drive my cat
it still drives great & no signs of wear yet

done a few mods but still waiting for my body kit from the states

1 - 16 of 16 Posts