New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved an svt uim and need to clean it. It's been sitting in my room cause i have no room left in the garage. And the smell of gas finally went away. We do have a parts washer bin at work with some really good cleaning solvet so i was wondering if it would hurt anything if i were to take it to work and let it soak in the solvent. I don't think it'll harm anything as long as i thoroughly clean the solvent out of the runners after i'm finished. I have a throttle body that needs cleaned as well but i'm not about to put that in there as i don't want to **** up the elecrical parts of it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The only thing I would be concerned about is the paint on the UIM. As long as it wont effect the paint then yes I would us the parts washer.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not worried about the paint. I'm also going to be stripping it and cleaning off any flash from the casting. Then i'm going to get it painted. Unless your worried about the paint messing up the washer?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
You'll be fine. Also, just unbolt the throttle position sensor from the TB and then soak the TB too. Easiest way. Paint is like the easiest thing and the SVT uppers have a pretty crappy paint job anyway. If you want it powdercoated talk to Bexcat. He has the means to powder such things.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The solvent actually wolnt hurt to much if you leave some on it. Usually when I hot tank something I just blow it off lightly. The rest of the solvent will um.....not disappear, but sorta evaporate. If other people don't have access to a solvent bath then gasoline or pain thinner do the same thing.....just soak and go.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet. I have to work tomorrow :)banghead: ) so i'll just take it in with me.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
you can rinse with soap and water since you plan on painting. I would strongly suggest after you clean it out with solvent use a scrub brush or steel wool or something on the outside (parts you are gonna paint) and clean completely. Paint will not stick to any greasy or oily residue left and you will end up with pin-hole spots where the paint wont adhere. Dish detergent works well, Dawn is known for great grease cutting ability. I just use the utility sink at home. Soak a few minutes in super hot water and soap then scrub then drain tub, fill with water again, scrub, drain water, then rinse a final time to remove all soap. The key is prep work when painting.

(PMed you concerning painting)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Yeah- Jeff and a couple friends bought an oven just for this purpose last summer I think. They powdered a bunch of the parts for their quads. Took them apart, sent the frame to get powdered, and did all the pieces themselves. I think they have something like a 17" clearance or around that. Dunno if they could do wheels though; maybe 15-16's? Never seen em do it or anything but PM Jeff (Bexcat).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts