New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that has a 3.0 UIM...I havent done anything to my 2.5 motor other than air intake and exhaust. Could I benifit from putting that 3.0 UIM and throttle body on my 2.5??

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,946 Posts
...but much more difficult...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
...but much more difficult...

not really. the steps and things you have to rework (EGR, IAC, intake) are well documented and considering you'll save about $600 (assuming $700 for an SVT and $100 for a 3.0L UIM) then it doesn't seem like that big a deal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx guys for the advice.....imma go see what he wants for it.....what is a good price for the 3.0 uim and tb???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stupid question...why is the 3.0 uim and tb soo cheap?? and will i need to get a custom chip or will my stock one work till i get diablo or whatever chip

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You wont need a chip for the 3.0L TB/UIM. The reason its alot cheaper is because there is a large supply of these and not a huge demand in the aftermarket. However, the 2.5L SVT UIM/TB are scarce and there is a large demand since they are SVT.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Originally posted by: St8LyRaVn
stupid question...why is the 3.0 uim and tb soo cheap?? and will i need to get a custom chip or will my stock one work till i get diablo or whatever chip
because every 3.0L duratec taurus on the road has one

there are more taurus's put on the road every year thatn probably all of the SVT's Contours combined

and your chip will work, but optimally it needs to be dynoed, tuned and reflashed everytime you change something on your engine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
one more question....what year taurus 3.0 manifold and tb do i need to get? if my buddies is not a correct year...i can remember without asking him what year his is

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,946 Posts
I have one from a 96 Taurus that's going on my car as soon as I get a throttle cable and another EGR valve to cut up. You want the aluminum one, not the plastic one.

·
Registered
490 Posts
are there any issues w/ the 3.0 throttle body and the AEM intake? what is the size of the 3L TB? 60mm ?

also, will a 3L LIM fit?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,946 Posts
Originally posted by: BigBlueWienke
what is the size of the 3L TB? 60mm ?
I don't know the exact dimensions, but you can put the ENTIRE END of the 2.5 TB Iinside the mouth of the 3.0 one.

Originally posted by: BigBlueWienke
also, will a 3L LIM fit?
Yep. Johnnyred did it. Ask him.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Originally posted by: tropiccougar01
Yes. It will be similar to putting on the SVT UIM/TB combo.
I strongly disagree.

The 2 UIM's are not remotely the same in design and therefore will not generate the same power increases or power curves.
On top of that the 2.5L cams and programming are setup to run individual long & short runner style manifolds.

The design of the 3L manifold "should" help the mid range while the 2.5L "Will" help the entire powerband.

Also have we ever seen a back to back between a DH 2.5L UIM vs a 3L UIM. Exactly my point. Speculation is not what I would call "Hard Data"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.