New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Re: My UIM polish progression

How about just getting that one extrude honed and selling me your svt?

:ty:
makes more sense cause then u dont have to do the work twice and you can at least get money back on svt.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts

I'd suggest you grind down the 6 mold nubby things ;)
I recommend NOT doing that. the polishing alone is quite a daunting task, you really don't need to be adding additional time to that.... lets just say I'm in year 3 of my polished UIM project.

get er done and then go back and grind down areas. but get the polishing done first.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts

I recommend NOT doing that. the polishing alone is quite a daunting task, you really don't need to be adding additional time to that.... lets just say I'm in year 3 of my polished UIM project.

get er done and then go back and grind down areas. but get the polishing done first.
to each their own, but took me an extra couple hours and figured while going thru the trouble, may as well smooth it all out.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I've heard that the SVT manifolds are considerably thinner due to extrude hone. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I'll just have to be really careful. The dremel makes things much quicker, but after I do an area with the dremel I always take sandpaper and file down what uneven marks the dremel makes. It's really time consuming.
So far the TOP of the front main chamber has no more visible pits and the tops of the runners are starting to come along nicely too. I've filed down most little things on the back of the manifold that stick out.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts

I hope you are wearing a dust mask when you do this. I remember doing mine my nose was full of crap for days. :( I started off with an Extrude honed stock manifold, there was no way I was doing it twice. Like Goldie said, get rid of the nubbies!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Those nubs will be coming of. And the dust is BAD. I cover my nose with my shirt.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts

C'mon Terry, you gotta post pix.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Well, yesterday I actually had time to work on it some. Filing down these nubs makes me very nervous because once you cut into it, you have to finish or else it looks retarded and if you cut into it too much you'll ruin it. Here's a nice picture of a direct comparison of runners with the nubs and the runners without the nubs. Clearly, w/out looks better but not everyone should attempt it. Including myself :cover: I say this because if you get careless for a second you'll jack it up. I went around that thing like grandma.
What are those nubs anyways? Anyone know? There's a few on the back as well. Was it a casting process or something? They just look to serve no purpose at all, they're just there.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts

They are a remnant from casting. That was probably where they poured the metal in.
um no they were molded on the and milled on the part it needs a flat surface to sit on to hone and mill the bores on the mainifold
thats my best guess

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

um no they were molded on the and milled on the part it needs a flat surface to sit on to hone and mill the bores on the mainifold
thats my best guess
That could be it as well.

Or they are a remnant from casting, and they milled them down like they always do with the metal inlets in the casting process, and then they used them as a flat surface to sit on to hone and mill the bores on the manifold :tongue:

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts

I did exactly what you are doing. I polished my stock one and then when I got my hands on a SVT manifold I had it bead blasted and then polished it up. I sold the polished stock one for a few hundred. :)

I bought a Bandfile specifically for this job and it made it so much easier.

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts

thats my best guess
You can't say "um no" and then say "thats my best guess." Either you have a definitive answer or you don't. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 257 Posts