New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a used SVT UIM and its a bit on the grimy side on the interior (obviously, being a used part) And I was wondering what can I soak (Im guessing this is the cleaning method) my manifold in to help clear that crap out of the inside. Anyone have and input on the cleaning? (searched the 2.5L perf. section and came up empty handed).

-Cale

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Carb cleaner/throttle body spray will do the trick, along with a toothbrush and a crapload of old rags. Be prepared to have your finger tips sore for a few days though lol.

·
Administrator
15,616 Posts
I didn't do my UIM, as I had it extrude honed, but I did clean the same black crap out of my LIM with Valvoline Throttle body cleaner...the stuff worked awesome.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm with everybody else, just use carb cleaner, TB cleaner or something like that and a couple of tooth brushes and so bottle brushes, those will help you get deep inside of it.

G

·
Originally posted by: wadespencer99
I didn't do my UIM, as I had it extrude honed, but I did clean the same black crap out of my LIM with Valvoline Throttle body cleaner...the stuff worked awesome.

Dude, keep that thing clean. I got mine and about a month it started to get dirty. :rofl: Im already cleaning it before the junk cakes up.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Sonza had a realy nice flexable tube cleaner to use along with the carb cleaner... not sure where he got it... sorta like a pipe cleaner but with a nice long flexable shaft.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I figured as much...I was really hoping someone would just tell me to buy a bottle of cleaner and soak it. Haha, not so much luck. When I try to get all up in her with my brush should I soak down the insides for a few minutes first just to loosen things up. Shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the help guys, you guys always come through real quick :thumbsup:

-Cale

·
8,643 Posts
Brake cleaner, if you can buy it in your state. That stuff's incredible. Don't hydrolock your engine with it, though (by, say, cleaning the LIM while it's still on the car). Don't ask me why I added that warning. ;)

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a UIM to clean ... can I spray inside the UIM with the brake cleaner ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
when i eventually do mine im gonna get a flexable wire brush or wire with platic bristles, attach it to a drill and just have at it. it seems like that will be the easy way to do it

·
Registered
90 Posts
I thought that when the dealership cleaned them they hooked your car up to a machine that cleaned it whiel it was running....
Thats what I understook them to say when they replaced my DPEF sensor and cleaned it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I remember a while back me and Cue were cleaning my manifold... and well, we soaked it in carb cleaner. Then decided it would be cool to light the spider on fire crawling up the wall next to the manifold. So then the burning spider falls into the UIM and ignites it, flames EVERYWHERE. Although it did get pretty clean afterwards...

G

·
tr0nic said:
I remember a while back me and Cue were cleaning my manifold... and well, we soaked it in carb cleaner. Then decided it would be cool to light the spider on fire crawling up the wall next to the manifold. So then the burning spider falls into the UIM and ignites it, flames EVERYWHERE. Although it did get pretty clean afterwards...

Sounds like somethign I need to take pics of this weekend :rofl:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.