New Cougar Forum banner

Two days with the service dept.: A sad tale.

735 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Fett 
#1 ·
Last Thurs. I took my Cougar in to my dealer for some warranty problems and the two recalls. After getting my car back I noticed some more problems. The first and most important is a violent vibration in my engine when applying the gas. It felt like maybe a broken motor mount. And the second was that my battery was never disconnected while it was there for my recalls, one of them being the negative battery router.

As for the recall they told me that the battery did not need to be disconnected for that recall, because it was a wire from the alt not the battery. Does that sound right?

As for the violent shake in the engine, my service guy had me take out one of the techs in my car so he could see what I was talking about. So while we were driving around the block I hit the gas hard a few times so he could feel what I was talking about. I explained to him that it was more obvious at higher speeds when I am in a higher gear at lower speeds. And when I hit the gas you can really feel it. But being on side streets I would have to gas it hard in lower gears for him to feel it.

Well the tech agreed that it was either a tranny or engine mount that had broken. But when I questioned him as to what he thought it was and the cause, he said he thought it was most likely one of those mounts, and it was caused by abuse. Abuse, WTF? I asked him how he could possible assume that it was abuse and he told me that my driving was very harsh and I was causing the damage to my car.

So I once again explained to him that I only did that to make sure he felt what I was talking about, and do not normally slam the gas for no reason. And how dare he accuse me of mistreating my car in the first place? I told him that my car did not have that problem until I left the dealer on Thurs. after they had it. And he said "Well, it's nothing that we did I can assure you of that." So I asked him how he could be so sure, and he replied that they would not disconnect a motor mount or tranny mount for my recalls.

Again I asked him about his assumptions. I reminded him that a broken mount was just his theory in the first place, and it was not confirmed that was the problem. And besides that point, he has no right to accuse me.

They gave me a new Tarus for a loaner, and you know I am beating the **** out of that for spite. I know they wouldn't care, but it makes me feel better.

I can't wait to get my car back, because I won't really say anything until I get it back, the revenge factor you know. But after it comes back I am going to inform the manager that I am buying my wife's new car at another dealer just because of the service I get there. I know my voice means nothing to them, but I am going to try my hardest to shake things up. If it were up to me both my service advisor and Bob would be out on the streets for the way they treat people.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #9 ·
Yea, the recall has nothing to do with the negative battery cable itself, however. Any good tech disconnects the battery when doing ANY work on an engine of any kind, it is always step one in any process. Especially when working with an electronic peice of equiptment. So reguardless, the battery should have been disconnected.

I am going to give them hell, after I get my car back. I want to wait and see what the verdict is on the bumping noise. Then I am going to go apeshit on them. I am going to talk to the service manager, then the owner of the dealer, then Ford Lincoln/Mercury. Hell I will contact Jesus if I have to.

But until then, I will continue to abuse the **** out of the 2001 3.0 Taurus they gave me as a loaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.