New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a little turbo kit I designed in Paint while bored. Could it work if the turbo's were small enough?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol! We have a new application for nano-technology!

·
Registered
235 Posts
You better get a patent on that.;)

O

·
0 Posts
why not do the turbo setup seawulf did, iirc he used his stock manifold, so do the same with the duratec, gutted of course. two turbos, t3s, mounted right to the manifolds, route piping around the left side, through an fmic and up to the intake? it wouldnt look amazing but itd be pretty cheap. 2 t3s, 400 max (used), 200ish for fmic, piping...no more than 300 in parts and labor, 25lb an hour injectors 100 max and if anyone wants to chime in on tuning? we're talkin 1500 at the most. feel free to attack this idea without mercy, if it's not possible i wanna know why

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone ever seen the engine bay of the 90-96 TT 300ZX? It's pretty cramped just like ours. A TT Cougar could probably be done. I'm taking an autoCAD class this semester at school so hopefully I'll be able to design my kit in there to show you guys in better detail!

N

·
0 Posts
2 turbo's can fit. You would have to put a scavaging pump for the oil for the turbo's.... but all you do is have one or both below the motor. The piping would not be fun...but can be done if you have the $$$ and someone to take on the task (good luck on that one).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea. I dunno maybe if I hit the lotto I can make me a kit. Lol! Seriously though it'd prolly only be a couple grand using boneyard parts and stuff.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You'd probably be better off using a single larger turbo rather than two small ones. You'd get the same or better performance increase, without the additional components or cost to the system.
Don't get me wrong, that would be one hell of an impressive set-up, but from a performance stand point............would it be worth it?

N

·
0 Posts
Probably not worth it unless you did sequential twin turbo's......Would be awsome to see though!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not quite sure how sequential twin turbo's work. Anyone care to explain?

N

·
0 Posts
One Turbo would be the smaller much faster boosting....once set at a certain rpm the much larger turbo takes over. Its a awsome one two punch!! But a headach to tune.....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh okay that way theres little to no lag then. You could put the larger turbo on the rear exhaust manifold and the smaller faster boosting one on the front. I'm thinking theres a flaw in the design though. Wouldn't the exhaust y-pipe kill flow. I think it'd prolly be better to run true duals...

N

·
0 Posts
True duals yes........little back pressure is the goal...not zero back pressure.... but very little. I cannot have true duals because of just one turbo.... as you can see from the attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kinda turbo is that naynay? Also how much boost are you running on your duratec?

N

·
0 Posts
Mine is a T3/T4E54 Hybrid, stage II turbine, .63 Turbonetics Turbo. I will be putting a ball bearing on, but not until all testing is complete with dyno results. The car is sitting until next month when our scheduled(cant spell) dyno is due. Right now we are starting at 6psi....but more than likely will end up at 8psi and near 325HP-350maxHP (estimate).

We are also making up a complete installation package that includes digital pics.....so we are making the best of the wait we have til next month. We also have a new intake design to work on also. This Cougar needs to be done real soon...we have two Preludes and a MGA waiting..........

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man. Thats gonna be awesome! I wish I had the means to fabricate turbo kits!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well, if you're talking about doing all kinds of custom weirdness to get a twin setup to work, why not look to a different kind of turbo. You could use an Aerocharger turbo and that way you can mount it as low as you want since the Aerocharger has it's own self-contained internal lubrication. They used them on one kit for a NSX.

Now the Aerocharger for the Focus was only good to 200whp at 10psi, but with two of them you should be able to flow enough air for 300whp, no? They have variable vane technology and have no wastegates. They put out 12psi in the midrange and slow to 9psi in the upper rpms. Just another option to throw around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts