New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the novelty of being a Mustang 5.0 sound-a-like has finally worn off. I love the sound, but there's just way too much of a good thing right now. I don't want everyone to know when I'm flooring it in my car, and I hate when people think I'm flooring it when I'm not and therefore think I'm racing them. And the drone is something I could do without.

So, therefore, I've decided to replace my 2-chamber 40-series Flowmaster with a 3-chamber 50-series with Deltaflow. I've heard that these still have that so-called "Flowmaster Sound," but are fairly quiet.

It turns out that this muffler's casing is only 4 inches longer and the same size around as the standard Flowmaster that comes with the Yodude exhaust. As far as I can tell it should fit with no problems. It was $90 from Summit Racing (part no. FLO-942551) and I should have it by Friday.

Will keep you guys posted....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm in the same boat Frank. I like the 5.0 sound but the drone is getting annoying. Let me know how the delta series works out. Oh, and my check engine light is on also.
I don't know weather it's the headers or what. I also seem to be getting worse gas milage. I have been stomping it alot lately though.

Andy

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Andy:

Did you have the shop that installed your headers install the MIL eliminators as well? If you don't have those inline circuits, you'll get a CEL within a week or two of installing the headers.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking through some list archives for a Ford Ranger forum, and I found this interesting...

They did some dyno runs with a 500hp modified engine with various mufflers. I always thought straight-through mufflers like Dynomax Ultraflows (which I have sitting in my garage) performed best, but, at least on this engine, Flowmasters performed better... and the 3-chamber did better than the 2! It should go without saying that we have a different engine, so this may not apply to us, but it's still interesting to see.

Pace Setter TFX 2 1/2"=> ..................................... 491 at 5000
Hooker Aero Chamber Super Comps 2 1/2" => ....... 499.4 hp at 5000
Edelbrock RPM Series 2 1/2"=> ............................ 506.5 at 5000
Walker/Dynomax Ultra Flows 2 1/2" => .................. 508.1 hp at 5000
Flowmaster Power Chamber 3 chamber 2 1/2" => ... 519.3 at 5000
Flow Tech Terminator 2 1/2"=> .............................. 519.5 at 5000

Hooker Max Flow Straight Thru Super Comps 3" => ......... 504.3 hp at 5000
Flowmaster All aluminum 2 chamber 3" => ...................... 516 hp at 5000

(taken from http://members.chariott.com/~ranger/archive/v03.n186.txt )

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy, my gas mileage has gone to hell too. I'm barely getting 20mpg, and I've been driving like a grandpa. Right after putting on my exhaust I was getting high-20s!

It's funny... my car will run great right after resetting the ECU. Then, as soon as the CEL comes on, I lose power and economy. It's kind of like a hypochondriac who thinks s/he is sick and therefore feels sick even though nothing serious (I hope) is wrong with him/her.

·
Registered
733 Posts
dan g, im getting headers installed soon, can u elaborate on the mil eliminators, i dont know what u are talking about, but if u could please email about what they are and what needs to be done in order to keep the darn cel light off, i would appreciate it
p.s.-u can just post instead of emailing (if u please would inform me on this issue) [email protected]

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, the Flowmaster 50 series delta is in. My impressions are:

It's quieter outside the car, but not by that much. It's MUCH quieter inside. I haven't pulled out my Radio Schmack SPL meter yet, but the exhuast only makes itself heard inside at certain RPMs, and even then it's no louder than my dynomax's were on the stock piping.

It still sounds similar to a 5.0 outside the car, but at WOT the KKM drowns it out much more than before. I haven't felt a difference in performance, but I'll be doing some 0-60 runs later.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
daporducer:

The MIL eliminators are in-line circuits that go between the lower O2 sensors and the car's wireing harnesses. These circuits fool the computer into thinking that the precats have not been removed by generating a sinusoidal voltage (simple capacitor/resistor circuit). Without them, you'll get a CEL with the code "catalyst system below threshold efficiency" or something similar.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm going to have to bite off you Frank. It is great to hear it sounds the same outside, but much quieter on the inside. I commute to work 30 min each way, and it does get a little annoying sometimes.

Andy

G

·
Frank, I just had a Borla Split Cat-Back installed. I didn't want it to be LOUD, but I was looking for the 5.0 sound. This Borla is not loud. When the car is idling and you crouch down at the splits, you can hear a nice low rumble. What would you suggest to make it sound more like the 5.0? Should I remove the resonators?

Thanx.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One thing I'd like to make clear... the Cougar is never going to sound just like a 5.0 all the way to the redline. It'll sound good, but different. It can sound very close to it around town and at idle, though (mainly because a lot of the traditional "5.0" sound is the result of Flowmasters).

Honestly, if you aren't satisfied with the sound of the Borla, you should sell it and buy a Yodude exhaust. You'll get more of a 5.0-like sound from the Yodude cat-back than you ever would with the Borla because it uses 2.5" piping. If you remove the resonators from the Borla it will probably sound too loud and not very deep. I'm not sure if the end mufflers are welded on, but if they are, you will void the warranty by removing them.

If I were you though, I would just be happy that I'm getting just as much performance as everyone else, without going deaf in the process. Believe me, the droning of a loud exhaust will get annoying real fast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.