New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through the owners manual and through the fuse section and couldn't find anything that relates to the fuse that would kill my door chime when the key is in it. So if my key is in the ignition and not turned on, and my door is open How do I disable that annoying chime?. All other cars that I've had I've been able to take the key half way out and other cars didn't even chime, unless the key was turned on.

Help:confused:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's gotta be a way to kill the chime with out killing the light. Every electrical piece must have a fuse to go with it. Where's the one for the door chime?

G

·
i'm sure they wired the same fuse for several different things .. dont play with fuses ... or do it at your own risk

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
theoretically you could remove or damage the chime speaker itself. Its in a little plastic box under the dash to the left, theres a plug with 2 thick red wires going into it on the same unit. It sounds like your ignition switch has a broken spring or something, When you put your key in it pushes the whole assembly in and grounds to complete the circuit which turns on the chime if your door is open. Without the key you can just push on it with your finger to create the same effect so somethings up with your ignition switch.

·
Registered
902 Posts
How about install a switch for the door chime speaker itself?

G

·
you turn the door chime off by pulling off the paneling behind the drivers seat (beside the back seat on the drivers side). once inside, you will have access to your rear 6x8 speakers and a few other things. just look down where your drivers side contact button is (not the tech term for it, but i'm sure you follow). its that little depressing thing behind the catch for the door. it had a lead that goes through the cars body and into this little area that you just opened up. disconnect the lead from the other side of the switch and there you go...no more annoying chime. the only draw back is that the dome light will no long come on when you open the car door...but who really needs light anyway?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Be careful fooling with the box that actually has the chime in it too. It does more than just chime, it's a timer circuit and some other stuff. I was going to unplug it for good when I found out about that part of it. If you are good with electronics though, you could put a switch on that box to control the chime. I would but i'm too lazy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts