New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turn a dead button into a functional one.

Ok, I finally got it to work perfectly, but my picture sucks.... I would recommend going and removing your button set while you read this, that way you can look at it and see what I am talking about.

Pull your four button (flashing red LED alarm - dead - (traction control) dead - rear defroster) set, and disconnect the wire harnesses.

Pull the dead button off (marked B in the picture) that you want to convert. When you pull it off you will see the clearish plastic backing (marked A in the picture).

While you examine the button itself, you will see the tabs that the red lines are pointing to in the picture. Compare those tabs to the things that stick out of the tip of the backing (A), the red lines are pointing to those in A.

The tabs have a small, square hole that lines up with the little tips on the rear shaft, they click together when you put the switch back together. You want to use a dremel kit and make the holes in the tabs (B) longer, it doesn't matter how long (deep) you make them, as long as you do NOT cut any of the end of the holes, that is what keeps the button from sticking out too far. By making the holes longer, the button can move freely as you push it in.

You will also need to dremel and smooth out the outside part of the button that goes into the frame. As you can see, there are some things that keep the button from being pushed in (marked C in second picture), just dremel them and smooth them out, you only need to trim them down about half way. Shave some off and check it, if you need just dremel it down a little more.

Go to your local pet store and get a two wire aquarium switch, you want one from Perfecto (hood company). This switch works perfect because the button does not need too much pressure or depth to turn it on/off. You can see it in the first picture.

Put the button in the rear hole of the clear part (A), use a zip tie to hold it in place, you might need to drill a small hole in the side of the clear holder (A) to run the zip tie through.

Use a screw, or something else thin, and long to work as a connector between the inner button and the back side of the dead button. As you can see in the picture, I used a screw.

Now put it all back together and hook up what ever you want power to into the switch. Click for on, click for off.

If you have any questions, please PM me or post here. I know my pictures suck, and my words might not completly make sense. If I can't spell it out, you can call me and I will try to talk you through it.

Good luck.

What a dumbass, I forgot to actually attach the pictures....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
That is just what I have been waiting for. Thanks Fett. That is awesome. Could you possibly email me the pics that you are referring to for installation. It might just be me, but they didn't show up on the thread. Thanks a lot, Fett. You have made my day.

How long approximately did it take you to make this conversion? Thanks again.

[email protected]

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I added the pictures....I forgot the first time.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.tropicalreef.com/parts.htm

Phone number is on bottom of page, be sure it is the push button switch and NOT the rotary switch.

Other than that, just call some of your local pet/aquarium shops. Most of them sell the switches for $2-$5.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
i might be going ahead of myself but gary star sells the euro set of button and all 4 of them work. but here is the thing,, on the euro's they have icons that have the traction control and some type of defroster. do you think that it would be possible to make the stock buttons us ones fit in the euro switches( cuz they work with out doing this how to)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The euro's are about $35 I believe and they do work.

G

·
Killer Job fett! But sorry for asking what perfecto do we need to get for it too hook up proberly and how would we go about hooking the street glow up to this button sorry i'm a total dumbA$$. THanks for the work though.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Perfecto company is an aquarium company, I just find that their push button switches work perfectly. They fit like a gem, and the button does not take a lot to push it in, and it does not travel far. I tried about ten different push button switches from places like Lowes and Home Depot, but the Perfecto one worked perfectly.

It is a simple two wire switch. I am not sure how street glow products hook up, but this switch basically goes inline with the power lead.

G

·
I was checkin it out the other day and the perfect switch on that site there are like 4 different ones with different wattage , Which one of those is the perfered one. The switch of course will not have a ground. Is that bad or doesn't really matter? My plan was to take apart the street glow button by soddering the wires loose then soddering the wire back to the perfecto switch. Would that work or are you still coming up with a way to hook that up otherwise. Thank again fett.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The neon should only run on 12v wires, so as long as the switch can hold that you should be fine. The ones I bought are universal for 8-44. Yea, the switch is going to just run in-line with the power wire.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I ordered the push buttons from the website that you recommended and for some reason When I try to place the screw in to throw the switches, it only trips the switch once. It never flips the switch again unless I remove the button and put it back on. ANy ideas?

G

·
I think the dead buttons would be a perfect place to drill a hole in (or order a replacement traction control button from ford with the little square clear hole in it) and place a LED hooked up to a switch on your secondaries. Everytime you giver, you will know your engine is opening her secondaries.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts