New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I want to go e-manage so far... But am undecided on ignition tuning. I was looking into the J&S Safeguard and it looks nice, question though If I were to get one which version would I buy? Im assuming the multi channel multi coil one. Im not planning on buying any of this really soon, but I am just learning what all they can do and trying to get a basic cost of the turbo and necessary components. I am also open to hear about the SCT, I looked but couldnt really find much info on it? Anyone have any good links on it? Basically I just need some help with the tuning of it. I have pretty much planned out the actual hardware/piping etc. Just need some help on electronics.
Sorry for all the newb questions but I am learning and Im not rushing into things

Ps. If either Seawulf or Afterhours have aim could they pm or post their screenname so I can get in touch?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Go with the SCT. SCT has only been out for a few months and it's the best option to tune your own car.

First post I saw about the SCT software
http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB49&Number=732428&page=6&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

First person SCT install post/review
http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB49&Number=843931&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

J&S Safeguard user review. The J&S Safeguard is just that, a safeguard. It's not 100% needed if you have the SCT, but it's a good ignition box and a good failsafe if you get some bad gas or overboost.
http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB49&Number=371437&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I don't aim. Do a search of my past posts so I don't have to answer the same questoins twice and post your questions in the forum to give more fodder for the search engine.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, believe me all Ive been searching seawulf and afterhours in search a lot lately heh. I guess its good to leave some info here though. I just like how aim is more instant. Thanks for the links I will look into it tommorow.

Matt

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ness,
Seawulf is right............now that the SCT programmable chip is out, that's the way to go for engine management. The SCT can re-program the data tables within the PCM itself.

But, if you still want to use the E-Manage like me.....then I'll help out as much as I can. I installed my 36 lbs injectors and programmed the correction factor into the E-Manage. The biggest problem I had was I didn't know (and no one knew for sure) what the stock injector flow rate is for the Cougar Zetec injectors. I've asked around and no one really had a definitive answer to that question. Well, for me.........I started the re-calibration at 17 lbs to 36 lbs and the engine ran really rich............then I reduced it in 1 lbs increments down to 15 lbs to 36 lbs and the engine idled better. It's still running a little rich though and after 3 running cycles I got a check engine light. When I pull the DCT code with my AutoTap it indicates the adaptive fuel system is rich (I'd rather have it run rich than lean though.....:grin;)

I know I'm pretty close to the proper calibration because the narrowband O2 sensor readings are fluctuating..........but the fluctuation range is still pretty wide....between 200 mv and 800 mv. The stock readings were much tighter.....like between 400 mv and 600 mv. I haven't had the time to weld on the wideband O2 sensor bung for my LM-1 wideband O2 meter yet, but once I do........I'll be able to clean up my fuel maps. Another interesting thing is the E-Manage fuel maps are based on throttle position and RPM.

Also, I don't really spend that much time on-line so I don't have AIM either. If you want, you can either E-mail me or PM me............but like Seawulf, I think your questions are better asked in the forums. That way the information is available to anyone else who may be seeking the same information.

By the way Seawuf, the recalibration to the 36 lbs injectors has not had a major effect on the ignition timing or the PCM load tables so far.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well, any timing higher than stock with boost is not recommended. Are you still using the stock MAF? Pull more timing in the mid range than you pull at the upper rpms.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes, I'm still using the stock MAF...........it's been re-calibrated with the E-Manage with a correction factor of .41 over the entire map for the 36 lbs injectors.

What kind of ignition timing are you running on your mid-range and upper-range?........and how much did you have to pull?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ultimately, I'm not sure how much we had to pull cause I'm not sure how much stock timing is, never checked it before we put on the turbo.

In the low RPMs around 3000 at wot I have around 10* advance, that should slowly go up to around 15* by 5000-6000rpms. I've heard of some Foci running upto 17* by the redline. So basically 10 +-2* at your full boost rpm then up to 15+/-2 by 5000rpms.

Basically tune real conservitively, check your AF and EGTs and go from there. If you pull too much timing, your EGTs will get hot quick and if you don't pull enough it will deto and possibly blow. Your main point should be not to have 1500F(limits of stock internals) EGTs before the redline. This could mean you'd have to run richer than 12:1.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks.........good info SeaWulf........:thumbsup:
I'll keep that in mind when tuning. I still didn't find the time to weld on the O2 bung for the LM-1's wideband O2 sensor yet. I have the fuels maps set alittle on the rich side just to be safe until I get around to it......not to mention, for now.........I make it a point not to take it above 4000 RPM's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts