New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the smallest turbo we could use on our 2.5 motors...
i have a turbo from a WRX that i got for free thats perfect....
i was just wondering because i dont want to buy a super high dollar turbo
any info about this/ or the turbo would help me alot.
thanks.
~Jameson

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
that one is going to be way to small. a turbo needs to be sized to the engine. that one is for a small displacement 4 cylinder ... how is it going to support a V6 with more displacement?

a T3/4 .63 or .82 AR are what most run it seems.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just want a small turbo tho....

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
i just want a small turbo tho....

doesn't matter. it needs to be sized to the engine. chances are this one is way to small to support our 2.5L V6. Its not going to flow enough air nor create enough boost for our engine.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
arn't the wrxs like 2.0's tho?
i just didn't think that .5 would make that much difference...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
sounds like its time to do some reading. suggest picking up maximum boost by corky bell, your local B&N should have a copy.

Unquestionably, turbochargers are not one-size-fits-all, bolt-on power solutions and, in our case, size does matter. What works well for one engine combination likely won't work for another, despite seemingly equal displacements and engine speed characteristics. Requirements often vary depending on the engine in question. What's important: top-end power or low-speed torque? How about a broad power curve and long-term reliability? What about acceptable trade-offs: some turbo lag, maybe some added heat or low-end torque loss? Before shelling out for that basketball-sized compressor you've been eyeing, be sure and run these questions through your head.

http://www.grapeaperacing.com/GrapeApeRacing/tech/turbochargers.pdf

a 2.5L V6 or 3L V6 is going to need more air flow then a tiny little turbo for a wrx can provide.

check this out also. another person asked the same question:
i want to turbo my car - CEG Forums

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,424 Posts
The smallest turbo i would use on the 2.5L would be T3 Super60 (which is the largest of the T3s). this turbo will get you to about 200-240WHP on the 2.5L (possibly 300 but you better have a damn good intercooler) anything smaller will not really move enough CFM (without making the air really hot) to gain you much.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,424 Posts
i just looked it up and the WRX turbo is a mitsu TD04-13T. this turbo is only good for about 380-400CFM. the T3 Super 60 that i mentioned being the smallest i would go is good for about 450-475 CFM.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ill just get another wrx turbo and twin turbo it haha.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it was a joke.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
except it was a serious question....
has anyone ever done a twin turbo cougar?

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,424 Posts
i dont think so. where do you plan on stuffing 2 turbos, you can barely fit 1 in the engine bay as is.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2 right of each header, ten run custom ypipe?

·
Registered
551 Posts
why do that when you could just supercharge it.(for quick spool) You cant really get anymore out of the cougar the way the turbo is now. If you wanted to do something different than everyone else then i could see. That would be alot of work and tuning, i would imagine, plus double the parts, unless you have money to throw around, do it and lets see something cool!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha, it would be a project...
i intend on doing a 3.0 swap this winter.
ill keep the 2.5 for mock up?
then maybe something will eventually come of that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts