New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone turbo their 2.5l cougar yet if so any info you could offer would be great i just bought a Mitsubishi 14b turbo for my car and im having the manifold fabricated as we speak, i know quite a bit already about how to do this but anymore more ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm Planning on boostin around 12 to 15lbs so i need to know what on the motor im gonna need to build up.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Try searching - you will find a LOT more than what you are going to get for replies in this thread. Also, this thread will probably get moved to the Forced Induction section.

But, the long and short of it is that, YES there are a select few who are running boost on the 2.5L. Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Moving to F/I. The 14b may or may not be appropriate for the 2.5L, but I haven't seen its compressor map. The better way to go is the ADC kit, since everything's ready for you, good to go with an appropriately sized turbo and all necessary exhuast piping/injectors/chip.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I have to say the 14b is more than likely too small for the 2.5L V6...

Also, running 12-15lbs on an undersized turbo is useless...you'll basically be creating excess heat without the power to match. Running a larger turbo, at lower would honestly be preferred. Using a larger turbo (turbine and compressor), will allow you to create more power, and hold it longer with a good spool range, and not have to run crazy boost to create power...You're engine will thank you in the end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks for the info guys i appreciate it. Well any ideas on what turbo i should go with then what about a T3/T4 hybrid. I was picking the smaller one for the quicker spool. And the kit is still like 4K thats a lil much for a full time student right now im tryin to buy everything piece by piece. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Then don't start the project. PERIOD. The turbo itself is the easy part. Strengthing the internals of the motor will cost you bigtime. Unless, of course, you want to shatter a sinter forged rod with that T3/4... To say nothing of the additional benefit of an extra .5L displacement if you want more power.

The project will run you $15,000. That's if you do all the work yourself. That's to do it right, cut no corners, and build up the motor to handle that turbo properly (including all gauges, trans work, LSD, chip revisions, and dyno tuning).

Again, I know, 'cause I've done it.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I'd listen to the crazy ferret man above...he kinda knows what he's talking about ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
When building a custom turbo setup there is a lot to consider, the first thing is money. Like Dan stated the ADC kit is the best way to go. This guy knows what he is talking about. When building a custom turbo setup you must look into fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, FMU, size wastegate to use, intercooler, blow off valve, how much in cost for bending the piping and who can end the piping, custom flanges, custom Y-pipe, oil lines - return and send, proper tuning the ECU and flashing the ECU. You can always install a turbo on any car, but without the proper Fuel setup, tuning, and OEM bottom end, you will blow your motor. Most of all what in the hell you are planning on doing to your bottom end. You are talking about running over 10psi, in the real world thats a lot of boost on stock parts. I suggest running NOS, simple easy and quick HP. And if you do decide to go with a turbo, build your motor first and do the research. I have been through this and still working on my setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.