New Cougar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Originally posted by: MaverickFlyer
Originally posted by: fordrule
i totally understand what u mean about knowing where ur money goes, but as you also see for is selling stock control arms for $179 each, so paying a little bit more for the tubular a arms would be worth the upgrade.

didn't mean to jump on anyone on the last post sorry megail
I think BAT sells the 2 bolt ones for $55, so $110 a pair compared to $500 is a big difference. You would really have to see a huge difference in performance to justify $500!
actually according to BAT PDF

Control Arm Assembly -handed left (drivers) right (passenger) these are complete assembled control arms with
front & rear bushings and ball joint. We have seen cars with mileage as little as 50,000 with significant bushing and ball joint
wear. The Contour and Cougar use one of two types of lower arm with either horizontal or vertical bushings. Early cars (prior
to 1998) use the horizontal type bush. Later cars could be either type, depending on the type of lower crossmember
installed at the time of manufacturer- best check before ordering. The horizontal bush arms mount with 4 fasteners (2 at
each end of the bush) and the vertical bush arms use 2 long bolts (1 per bush) through the middle of the bushing.
Control Arm Horizontal Bush (LH) K428L $169.50
Control Arm Horizontal Bush (RH) K428R $169.50
Control Arm Vertical Bush (LH) K428LA $55.00
Control Arm Vertical Bush (RH) K428RA $55.00

and from sp motorsports according to this page.

Control Arm Assembly, Horizontal Bushing,Left Hand 95-00 744-F5RZ3079B $175.95 ea.
Control Arm Assembly, Horizontal Bushing,Right Hand 95-00 744-F5RZ3079A $175.95 ea.
Control Arm Assembly, Vertical Bushing,Left Hand 95-00 744-F8RZ3079BA $57.00 ea.
Control Arm Assembly, Vertical Bushing,Right Hand 95-00 744-F8RZ3079B $57.00 ea.

Control Arm Assemblies are OE Ford and come complete with bushings and ball joints ** Control arm assemblies come complete with the front & rear bushings and ball joint. The Contour and Cougar use one of two types of lower arm with either "horizontal" or "vertical" bushings. Early cars (prior to 1998) use the horizontal type bush, but later cars are a mix of either or depending on the type of lower cross-member installed at the time of manufacturer. Best check before ordering. The horizontal bush arms mount with 4 fasteners (2 at each end of the bush) and the vertical bush arms use 2 long bolts (1 per bush) through the middle of the bushing.( is what the 99-00 cougar has per my pics)

and the set of LCA from mumm racing

so by me saying around $500 for them would be low balling adam and todds workmanship. I would guess to see them priced higher....but that is up to adam

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
$500 per pair is more than justified, regardless of an enormous improvement over the flimsy stock units. Again, you have to take into consideration the amount of time the R&D and Testing process is going to take. :shrug:

--Adam

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
espically because the wheel hop on our car is so bad and anything can and will help. and my personal oppinion is that these will help out greatly

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I agree. I am very much looking forward to having these available. As it will take away our weak link, and finally allow us some gut wrenching off the line lauches we need to show some low ETs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Man...I just don't feel like waiting for these. I'm goin to see if my dad will make me a set. I know he can...he does stuff like this everyday. He works over in nevada for carol shelby..;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Wow, very nice guys. :rolleyes:

I don't quite think you understand the work involved in making something like this. Not to mention this part is a vital part of the suspension and chassis of your car. If it's not built properly and it fails....oh boy are you going to be in a world of hurt. $500 is MORE than reasonable for this type of upgrade, especially considering the market you're part of.

I can't believe the amount of undercut attempts that have and are being made, it's absolutely amazing.

--Adam

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You're right, Carrol Shelby IS probably one of the best builders in the World, but let me ask you something. Do you think Carroll Shelby gives a damn about the Contour or Cougar? The Ford Mustang always has been and always will be his bread and butter.

Eibach is one of the premier suspension companies in the world and they discontinued the struts they were making for the Cougar after only a couple of years, so I find it highly unlikely that a company that specializes in a specific vehicle, which makes them more money than I can even fathom right now, would even consider producing parts for a platform that no longer exists.

And because Shelby is one of the best names in Automotive Performance, these things would probably cost much more than $500 for a set. But considering you said your Dad who works for Shelby might make them I'm sure you'd get them for free

--Adam

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wasn't trying to undercut you. I was just going to get my dad to make ME a set. I was going to buy yours...but I'm just not patient enough. Your right shelby wouldn't want to produce these parts but my dad will for me since he's my dad and all. He just works for him over in nevada. Its pretty cool the stuff he does. He did the body mold for the csx 1000...thats the new shelby they came out with. He's done a lot for shelby been working there for probably close to 10 yrs now. $500 is a reasonable price for your product being that you have great customer service and you stand behind your products...;).

·
Registered
227 Posts
The whole idea as well is this country is a free enterprise and a captial market. Make them cheaper, people can buy them. Kids (16-32) mod there cars. Some of these kids go to college and cannot afford expensive products such as this. Some dont have the best jobs yet. Dont get ticked off at people tring to lower your price. It is human nature. You shop around for better prices, not to pay more. I know where you are coming from, I am there too. You are right they dont make these cars no more, so some people are going to get rid of them because they do not have easy mods. Cougar buyers as a majority in my town are old people, they dont mess with the car at all, so no money to be made there, get my point?

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
back on subject. I take it for 500 bucks we get all mounting hardware and such with the arms correct?

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
any word on this

·
Registered
68 Posts
Best of luck with the production Adam and Stacey... We have Tubular arms on ProjectCougar when the suspension was completely redone in 2004... Unable to get any miles on the car yet but should be interesting.

To those who mentioned having someone fab you up a set... Dont cheap out on the suspension, went you are going around all those windy roads you love, its better to have a product you can trust under the car than something someone made for you thinking they could save ya a buck.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
i want my suspension to look like that^^^^

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
that looks so hot....

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts

I havn't seen those in well over a year! Didn't the new suspension on project cougar cost about $10,000.
I remember people talking about how the suspension was worth more then a used cougar :biggrin:

41 - 60 of 64 Posts