New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tubular Lower Control Arms - What do you think?

Alright guys,

I've looked at a few posts from people who would rather see the introduction of the Tubular Lower Control Arms rather than the brakes. I tend to agree, so we're going to do the LCA's instead of the Brake kits.

Now, the LCA's for the Contour/Cougar are pretty flimsy and the installation of tubular DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) in place of the flimsy stamped steel should eliminate most of, if not all, the wheel hop problems. However, these are not going to be as cheap as we would have liked.

Now you tell me how much you'd be willing to pay for the set and I'll let you know what we can do.

Also, if anyone has a spare set of both the 2-Bolt and 4-Bolt LCA's they'd be willing to let us borrow or buy let me know.

The bottom line is how much would you be willing to pay?

--Adam

{EDIT} Here are some picture of the finished product from PRO for the Front LCA's for the Ford Probe/Mazda MX6. They are powdercoated:

Black

Red

**Note the red LCA pictured was a prototype model and is only being shown to demonstrate the Red finish.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
RE:Tubular Lower Control Arms - What do you think?

PM JAMallot. I believe he has an LCH from the wrecked cougar we tore apart that's for sale. I don't know if he has a set and i have no idea if they are 2 or 4 bolts. But it couldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'll do that thanks! :)

--Adam

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The material being used is .125 wall dom tubing and they will feature fully adjustable (camber adjustment) heim joints.

--Adam

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i'd buy them if they were less than 150bux. thats a sweet deal. if you build them before my guy gets around to it, i'll buy yours.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
WHat all is involved with these? Another words lower the subframe or not? I dont really want to put I need an excuse to open up tranny again heh.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
yep, i have a LCA. i am actually not sure which side of the car its from though unfortunatly. ill PM gyger and ask him. he might know because he helped tear apart the wrecked cougar too. here is a pic. its yours if you want it man.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Originally posted by: Ness1216
WHat all is involved with these? Another words lower the subframe or not? I dont really want to put I need an excuse to open up tranny again heh.
i dont think you will need to open up the tranny for it. if you look at the pic of the stock one i attached, you will recognise it from when you installed your springs. its not that difficult to get off.

and you are right about the stock ones being weak. the guy that wrecked his cougar bent 2 of them from turning too hard.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
For the idea of eliminating wheel hop...id see the cost of $327-$415 not being bad at all, especially considering how ellusive it would be for right now.

It'd be a nice way to round out the cougar for all y'all track people with da big engine swaps, F/I applications, and just in general.

:wiggle:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Originally posted by: JAMallott
Originally posted by: Ness1216
i dont think you will need to open up the tranny for it. if you look at the pic of the stock one i attached, you will recognise it from when you installed your springs. its not that difficult to get off.

and you are right about the stock ones being weak. the guy that wrecked his cougar bent 2 of them from turning too hard.
I meant would I have to lower subframe, I know it wouldnt require undoing tranny, but If I HAD to undue subframe might as well do tranny things while its all accessible.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by: Rikenbomb
How does this actually minimize or prevent wheel hop? Bear with me as I am learning about how it all works.
These will help minimize and maybe eliminate wheelhop simply because they'll be more rigid than the stock lower control arms, which are quite flimsy.

--Adam

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well you also have to realize that you don't drive a Mustang. You drive a Cougar. There are MAYBE 1/100th the number of 99-02 Cougar's on the road as there are Mustangs. You have to understand that Supply and Demand will play a role in the pricing of these, and since the demand isn't going to be as high as it would be for a Mustang, the price will inevitably be higher. :shrug:

--Adam

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I've got a thread goin over on CEG as well. But I'm hoping to keep the price between $400-$500 for the pair, I won't go higher than $500 if at all possible, but we'll see how the interest pans out. :thumbsup:

--Adam

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
so between 4 and 500bux for a pair of lower control arms eh? hmm, i'll have to see the finished product installed to make a decision. i know i can have some made by BYC for 200 or less.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by: megail
so between 4 and 500bux for a pair of lower control arms eh? hmm, i'll have to see the finished product installed to make a decision. i know i can have some made by BYC for 200 or less.
Look, I'm not here to be low-balled, and it's quite offending to tell you the truth. So if you don't want to pay the price that is set when the final products are ready to go, then don't buy them from us and please don't complain about the price.

You have to take into consideration the time that I'm spending right now getting answers for you guys, getting the information together, taking suggestions, etc....I'm not being paid for this, nor is my supplier being paid for the R&D time until the product actually sells.

I have said this on many occasions and I don't understand why people don't understand this, price of material is not the only factor that has to be taken into consideration when pricing a CUSTOM product. :shrug:

--Adam

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
when i get deployed is the idea to leave the cougar at PRO's so he can fit them and do some testing at the local track. Since I am not going to be in the country to try them out. Also is Todd going to be researching possible other suspension products for the cougar/contour

I found these at mumm brothers, these are the A-arms these use on there old racing cougar. But as you see they are not adjustable. Compare the tubular verse the stock.
stock

I found these at SP motorsports and these price is for FORD stock replacement
Control Arm Assembly, Horizontal Bushing,95-00, 744-F5RZ3079B, $175.95 ea.
tubular

This is the description i found on mumm brothers about there racing a-arms
This is the MK2 front lower control arm being held on its fabrication jig. We make this part out of 4130 chrome-moly tube. There are National spherical bearings for the subframe mounts (replacing the stock rubber bushings) and one for the connection to the steering knuckle (replacing the stock lower ball joint).
So the R&D on these are going to be very time consuming and not easy to design. I would have to agree on the $4-500 range at least for the PRO Tubular LCA, espically they will be adjustable.
just MHO

joey

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i'm not here to lowball anyone. i'm just saying that they need to work and be up to the standards that you say they are. its looking like you are going to be making some amazing things suspension wise for these cars. if i can i'll go somewhere else and get them cheaper, but if you've got a proven product that happens to be more expensive, then hell yes you have my business.

sorry if i sounded like a jerk, didn't mean to, just want to get my monies worth.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts