New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
8,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 trunk 6-CD changer started a new trick the other day: it'll occasionally report "magazine ejected" despite the fact that one is loaded. The first time it happened, I was cruising along, listening to music, but when I hit a bump, the display showed "magazine ejected", and I was unable to play any CDs until I ejected and reinserted it. Then, last night, I put the magazine in, and the display reported "magazine ejected" immediately. I popped the magazine out and back in, and it worked fine for the evening, even over some bumps.

I presume there's a dirty optical sensor or some other sensor that's sticking, so I plan to take it out and see if I can clean it (the unit never has been cleaned). Anyone have experience with this problem or in general cleaning the changer?

Thanks.
RJ

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hmmm, I hope your changer isn't breaking like mine did. Mine just did the opposite, it wouldn't eject the mag or play cd's. I ended-up taking it apart and manually ejecting the mag. If it continues to plague you w/ probs, just pick-up a new used one off the boards, thats what I ended-up doing. I took it into Ford and the place they send it out to wanted like $200 just to look at it, after Ford charged me $40 just to drive the car into the shop. If you want to try cleaning it like you stated, taking it apart isn't very hard, or putting it back together for that matter, however you might just want to pony up the $90 or so for a nice used one to stop your probs all together. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts